About This Chapter
Bridges of the United States - Chapter Summary
This informative chapter covers the history, construction and facts pertaining to some of the most recognizable bridges in the United States. You'll review the design and importance of the Bixby Bridge, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, the Stone Arch Bridge, and many more. Review the lesson and then take the multiple-choice quiz to assess how well you understand the material or as a helpful test prep exercise. Our learning tools are available to you 24 hours a day and accessible from your computer, tablet or mobile phone. This chapter will help you understand the following:
- Why the 6th Street Bridge was demolished and replaced
- Some facts about the Bayonne Bridge and the Benjamin Franklin Bridge
- What the history of the Causeway Bridge and the Royal Gorge Bridge reveals
- How the Coronado Bridge and the Delaware Memorial Bridge were constructed
- The design of the George Washington Bridge, the Goethals Bridge and the Hood Canal Bridge
- How the Mackinac Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge were built
- What ithe history of the New River Gorge Bridge, the Queensboro Bridge and the Ravenel Bridge is
- What are important facts about the San Francisco Bay Bridge, the San Mateo Bridge and the Sellwood Bridge
- How the Seven Mile Bridge, the St. Johns Bridge and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge were constructed
- What legend of the Bridge of the Gods Land Bridge is
- How the Bridge of the Gods, the Throgs Neck Bridge and the Verrazano Bridge were designed
- What are some essential facts about the Williamsburg Bridge
1. Royal Gorge Bridge: History & Construction
2013 was a dry one for the state of Colorado. That summer, wildfires burned through several thousand acres and hundreds of buildings. One fire nearly claimed one of Colorado's famous tourist attractions, the then ninety year old Royal Gorge Bridge.
2. Chesapeake Bay Bridge: History & Facts
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge has an interesting place in the Maryland history. In this lesson, we'll explore the story of its planning, construction, and use, and see how it changed life in the bay area.
3. Famous Bridges in The USA
Bridges in the United States are built to get citizens from one place to another. At the same time, these bridges are exquisite national landmarks. In this lesson, we will learn about three famous bridges in the United States.
4. Hood Canal Bridge: History & Construction
The story of the Hood Canal Bridge is both important and tragic. In this lesson, we're going to explore the history, design and construction of this bridge and see how engineers tried to adapt to a challenging building environment.
5. Mackinac Bridge: History & Facts
The Mackinac Bridge boasts some impressive dimensions, but that's not all it has going for it. In this lesson, we'll explore the history and design of this structure, and see what it means to the people who use it.
6. Stone Arch Bridge: History & Facts
The Stone Arch Bridge of Minneapolis is a historically and symbolically important structure to the city. In this lesson, we'll look at the history and design of this bridge and see how it's impacted the city's past.
7. History of The Bridge of The Gods (Modern Structure)
The Bridge of the Gods is not the most beautiful, biggest, or even most important bridge, but it has a pretty cool story behind it. Learn more about the history of this modern bridge.
8. London Bridge in Arizona: History & Facts
You know the nursery rhyme with this line: London Bridge is falling down. But did you know it ended up in Arizona? In this lesson, learn the curious history of the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
9. Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel: Construction & Location
Have you ever driven on a bridge and entered a tunnel all while traveling across the same large body of water? In this lesson, explore the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel and learn how it was built.
10. Eads Bridge: Construction & Facts
The Eads Bridge was a pioneer in many aspects and represented a connection between east and west in the United States. In this lesson, we'll explore the design and history of this structure, and see how it forever changed American engineering.
11. Newport Bridge: History & Construction
The Newport Bridge wasn't easy to build, but that just makes it all the more impressive. In this lesson, we'll explore the design and construction of this structure, and see where it fits in American bridge history.
12. Zilwaukee Bridge: History, Construction & Facts
Many bridges end up being replaced as the community's needs change, but that transition does not always go smoothly. In this lesson, we'll explore the history of the Zilwaukee Bridge, and see how a regional growth can result in growing pains.
13. Chicago's Michigan Avenue Bridge: History & Sculptures
Chicago is famous for its skyscrapers, but what about its bridges? In this lesson, we are going to check out the Michigan Avenue Bridge and see how it helped literally reshape the city.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Architectural Structures Study Guide course
- Architecture of Famous Mosques
- Architecture & Temples of Asia
- Architecture of Theaters & Opera Houses
- Architecture of Cities
- Bridges of the World
- Notable US Sights
- Garden Designs & History
- Famous Architectural Works
- Architectural Structures in Spain
- Bridges in the Mid-Atlantic States
- Bridges in the South Atlantic States
- California Architectural Structures
- Canadian Bridges
- European Bridges
- Italian Architectural Structures
- Louisiana Bridges
- Massachusetts Bridges
- New York Architectural Structures
- Oregon Bridges
- Architecture & Design of Famous Churches & Cathedrals
- Architecure & Design of Famous Castles
- The Great Wall of China