About This Chapter
Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive skills and training chapter outlines basic information related to bruises, contusions and hematomas. Follow along with our expert instructors to study the causes, symptoms and treatments of blunt force traumas, chest contusions, bruised pectoral muscles, hepatic hematomas and Grey Turner's sign.
Our instructors' simplified instructional approach helps you quickly understand and remember important concepts from the lessons. The chapter also comes with interactive quizzes that assess your comprehension of the material. You can study at any time using your computer, smartphone or tablet.
How It Helps
This chapter can help anyone who needs to quickly improve their understanding of bruises, contusions and hematomas. Healthcare professionals, such as critical care nurses, can use this chapter to coincide with skill development, training and continuing education. Aspiring medical professionals can also use this chapter to learn more information about these types of conditions.
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Recognize the symptoms of blunt force traumas, chest contusions, bruised pectoral muscles and hepatic hematomas
- Understand how chest contusions, bruised pectoral muscles and hepatic hematomas are treated
- Recognize the causes of Grey Turner's sign
1. Blunt Force Trauma: Definition, Symptoms & Examples
Blunt force trauma is an injury that occurs when an object hits or strikes a part of the body. In this lesson, learn about the definition, symptoms, and examples of blunt force trauma.
2. Chest Contusion: Definition & Symptoms
A chest contusion is a bruise to the chest that is usually caused by blunt force trauma. In this lesson, learn about the definition and symptoms of a chest contusion.
3. Bruised Pectoral Muscle: Symptoms & Treatment
A bruised pectoral muscle is usually the result of a direct blow to the chest by an object. In this lesson, learn about the symptoms and treatment of a bruised pectoral muscle.
4. Hepatic Hematoma: Causes & Symptoms
A hepatic hematoma involves bleeding in your liver. In this lesson, we will learn what causes a hepatic hematoma. We will also focus on symptoms related to a hepatic hematoma.
5. Hepatic Hematoma: Management & Treatment
Blood constantly passes through your liver. If your liver is injured, it can result in a hepatic hematoma. In this lesson, we will learn more about hepatic hematomas and how to treat them.
6. Grey Turner's Sign: Definition, Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, you will learn about Grey Turner's sign, a sign of abdominal bleeding. We will discuss the specific definition of Grey Turner's sign, its causes, and the course of treatment necessary to correct the underlying problem.
7. Chest Contusion: Complications, Treatment & Recovery Time
A chest contusion is an injury to the chest that results in bruising or damage to local tissue and blood vessels. This lesson is about chest contusions, treatment, potential complications, and recovery time.
8. What is a Bone Contusion? - Definition & Symptoms
A bone contusion is a traumatic injury causing bruising to site of impact. Read this lesson to learn the difference between a bone contusion and fracture, along with several symptoms common to this injury.
9. Bone Contusion: Treatment & Healing Time
A bone contusion, or bone bruise, can be a serious injury and requires medical evaluation. Read this lesson to learn about initial treatment and the course of recovery for bone contusions.
10. Bruised Tailbone: Symptoms, Treatment & Recovery
A bruised tailbone is an uncommon but fairly painful injury. Read this lesson to learn more about the tailbone, symptoms of tailbone bruising, and recommendations for the treatment and recovery of this injury.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Understanding Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Poison & Chemical Exposure
- Bacterial & Viral Tropical Diseases
- Fungal Tropical Infections
- Helminth Infections
- Protozoan Infections