About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about bryophytes will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about these plants. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding what mosses and lichens are
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about bryophytes (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about bryophytes
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra life science learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Bryophytes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Bryophytes chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any life science question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in the bryophytes unit of a standard life science course. Topics covered include:
- Life cycles and types of liverworts and mosses
- Facts, history and habitats for bryophytes
- Hornwort life cycle, types, characteristics and facts
- Definition, life cycle and environmental importance of lichens
1. The Life Cycle of a Liverwort
Plants tend to change in form over the course of their lives. The liverwort is not the exception to this. We are going to discuss the life cycle of the liverwort and see the changes it goes through in its life.
2. Types of Mosses & Liverworts
The mosses and liverworts are a diverse group of simple plants. This lesson explores some of the groups within the mosses and liverworts, and provides facts about these fascinating plants.
3. Liverworts: Definition, Habitat & Facts
In this lesson, you'll learn about the liverwort, including where it gets its name. We'll also take a look at liverwort habitat requirements, and some interesting facts about these unique plants.
4. The Life Cycle of Hornworts
You've heard of ferns, tulips, oak trees, but hornworts? Hornworts are a plant that belong to the same group as mosses and liverworts, and they have a complex lifecycle. This lesson explores that life cycle.
5. Hornworts: Types, Characteristics & Facts
In this lesson, you will learn about hornworts, a member of the group of plants known as bryophytes. We will look at types of hornworts as well as common characteristics and interesting facts.
6. Bryophytes: History, Habitat & Facts
When you think about plants, bryophytes probably aren't the first group that pops into your mind. This group is quite interesting though and is the closest living relative to the first land plants. In this lesson, we will explore the history and habitat of this ancient plant.
7. What is Moss? - Definition, Types & Characteristics
In this lesson, we will explore a unique category of plants known as mosses. You'll learn what a moss is and their common characteristics as well as different types of mosses.
8. What is Lichen? - Definition, Types & Characteristics
While you have probably seen lichen, how much do you know about it? Is it a plant? A fungi? This lesson will define lichen, describe some common shapes and end with some characteristics lichen share.
9. Lichen: Reproduction & Life Cycle
Living in harmony for thousands of years? This is just one of the neat things that the two organisms that make up lichens have accomplished. This lesson explores these organisms, including their reproductive tactics and life cycles.
10. Lichen: Environmental Importance, Symbiosis & Facts
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the tiny world of lichens. By the end of this lesson, you'll be able to explain what lichens are and why they are important for both humans and our greater ecosystem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Life Science: Help and Review
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Help and Review
- The Parts of Cells: Help and Review
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Help and Review
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Help and Review
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Help and Review
- Classification of Organisms: Help and Review
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Help and Review
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Help and Review
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Help and Review
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Help and Review
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Help and Review
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Types of Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Changing Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Invertebrates: Help and Review
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Help and Review
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Help and Review
- The Cardiovascular System: Help and Review
- The Blood Vessels: Help and Review
- The Digestive System: Help and Review
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Help and Review
- The Muscular System: Help and Review
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Help and Review
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Help and Review
- Health Issues & Concerns: Help and Review
- Plant Biology & Structure: Help and Review
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Help and Review
- Environmental Concerns: Help and Review
- Natural Resources: Help and Review
- Growth & Productivity in Economics
- American Labor & Consumer Issues