About This Chapter
Building Cohesive Teams in a Virtual Environment - Chapter Summary
These lessons examine the steps virtual team leaders and members can follow to establish expectations for their teams and develop trusting relationships. These lessons will show them the following:
- Why setting expectations is important
- Typical expectations for virtual teams
- The role of trust in a virtual team
- Team building activities
- Good habits for virtual teams
You can present these lessons in a group corporate training session, using the quizzes that follow each lesson as a springboard for discussion. Managers and employees can also study individually, on a computer, smartphone or mobile device. The chapter exam allows your teams to assess their understanding of the concepts discussed in these lessons.
How It Helps
- Explains expectations: Learning what is typically required of virtual teams and brainstorming ideas about the roles of managers and team members allow for the establishment of clear performance expectations.
- Provides activities to build trust: Employing this course in group training sessions can help team leaders and members get acquainted through exercises and discussion.
- Provides habits for success: Short videos explore habits shared by successful teams, such as regular communication, and give examples that can help set your employees on the track for success.
After they've finished this chapter, managers and employees should be able to:
- Establish expectations for a virtual team
- Understand the importance of trust in a cohesive virtual team
- Build relationships through team activities
- Employ habits common to successful virtual teams
1. Defining Virtual Team Roles: Strategies & Importance
Have you ever called your credit card company and the person on the other end is on the other side of the world? Well, they could be part of a virtual team! In this lesson, we will explore virtual teams, the importance of roles, and strategies to define roles.
2. Setting Expectations for Virtual Teams
In this lesson, we'll learn about setting expectations for virtual teams. We'll see how establishing a purpose, clarifying stakeholder expectations and conveying roles and responsibilities help in setting expectations.
3. Establishing Norms on Virtual Teams
Do you have team members that consistently miss deadlines and ramble on at meetings? This lesson discusses norms you can establish to promote productive meetings and communication strategies for your virtual teams.
4. Strategies for Engaging Virtual Teams
As a virtual team manager, do you ever feel like you are losing control of your team? You have to come up with a strategy to improve engagement among your virtual team members. This lesson provides strategies that you can implement in these situations.
5. Practical Application: Analyzing Communication for Virtual Teams
Communication is key to success, particularly among virtual team members. In this practical application, we'll take a look at some different virtual teams and the unique challenges they face with communication.
6. Building Trust in Virtual Teams
Trust is essential for teams of employees, and virtual teams can build a foundation of trust just as any non-virtual team can. In this lesson, we'll discuss the benefits and challenges of virtual teams as well as the methods for building trust.
7. Team Building Activities for Virtual Teams
Team building in the virtual environment is very important. It helps to build trust, which is one of the biggest challenges in a virtual team. In this lesson, we will be learning about various types of team building activities for virtual teams.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Building a Virtual Team course