About This Chapter
Building Construction & Properties in Engineering - Chapter Summary
If you are looking for resources to help you better understand building construction and properties in engineering, this chapter can help! Review fun lessons from home or anywhere with an Internet connection to learn about parapets, curtain walls, carpentry, timber framing and much more. With each lesson is a mini quiz designed to assess your comprehension of the concepts it covers. A practice exam is available to check your understanding of the entire chapter. Learn even more about this chapter's topics by sending your questions to our experts. When finished, you should be able to:
- Explain the firewall in building construction
- Detail how flying buttresses work
- List terms and techniques of framing in construction
- Define a timber wall plate
- Describe the purpose of a wall stud
- Discuss the design and uses of jetty construction
- Share the definition of a cantilever
- List types of structural foundations
1. Cantilever: Definition & Terminology
In this lesson, we are going to learn about a structural element called the cantilever. We are going to look at some examples of cantilevers and learn how cantilevers are structurally analyzed.
2. Structural Foundations: Definition, Types & Construction
In this lesson, we are going to learn about different types of structural foundations and what characteristics they each have. We will also learn about their construction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Engineering course
- Materials & Properties in Engineering
- Stress & Strain in Engineering
- Temperature & Heat in Engineering
- Tools & Processes in Engineering
- Pressure in Engineering
- Tolerance in Engineering
- Basics of Structural Engineering
- Basics of Chemical Engineering
- Electricity in Engineering
- Physics Concepts in Engineering
- Acoustics in Engineering
- Electrical Interference in Engineering