About This Chapter
Building Effective Teams - Chapter Summary
In these corporate training lessons, our instructors define and analyze what it takes to create successful work teams. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Exploring various types of groups and group formation
- Helping managers recognize the stages of group development
- How work teams add to a company's productivity
- Qualities of effective work teams
- Identifying teamwork skills
Our experienced instructors, all business professionals, teach these lessons using an approachable tone and fun visuals to keep your employees engaged. Our lessons are designed to be concise and impactful to ensure your busy employees get the most out of this training in a short amount of time.
How It Helps
- Creates an understanding of team building: Your employees will recognize how groups develop and learn how to make their own team more effective.
- Teaches teamwork: These lessons define and provide examples of the skills necessary to participate in a effective team which may result improved productivity.
- Emphasizes the value of teams: By watching these training videos, your employees will understand how essential effective teams are to a company's success in today's business world.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Identify types of groups and why they form
- Understand group behavior
- Define the stages of group development
- Describe the importance of teamwork when creating products, solving problems and making business decisions
- Provide examples of the characteristics of effective teams and teamwork skills
1. Groups in Organizations: Formation & Types
There are many different types of groups, likely more than you may be aware of. In this lesson, we will explore the various types of groups and how they are defined. We will also look at how or why they form, as this will give us a better understanding of their focus and design.
2. Stages of Group Development: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing & Adjourning
Managers must be able to recognize and understand group behavior at its various stages. This lesson explains Tuckman's five stages of group development, including forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning.
3. The Work Team in Contemporary Business: Definition & Analysis
Contemporary business has thrived with the use of work teams in creating products, solving problems and developing alternatives. There are many ways that work teams add to the productivity and success of a company.
4. Practical Application: Stages of Team Development
Bruce Tuckman created the 5 stages of team development. Following these five stages as a team leader can lead to more productive team meetings and teamwork. This infographic can help.
5. Characteristics of Effective Teams: Examples and Qualities
Effective teams can contribute heavily to the success of an organization. This lesson explores the key characteristics that make teams effective in the business world. You'll see an example of each characteristic and learn about underlying, supportive aspects of effectiveness.
6. Teamwork Skills in the Workplace: Definition & Examples
In today's modern corporate world, developing teamwork skills in the workplace has become a necessity. In order to survive such a competitive environment, companies need to promote a workplace that emphasizes teamwork.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Being an Effective Team Member at Work course