About This Chapter
Building Spelling Skills in Early Childhood - Chapter Summary
As an early childhood education teacher, you have the wonderful opportunity to help children develop their reading and writing capabilities. The lessons in this chapter will focus primarily on methods for helping students build their spelling skills, enhance their writing and improve their reading comprehension. You'll explore how students develop spelling skills and learn techniques for teaching spelling skills to students. By the end of the chapter, you'll have examined:
- The process and stages of spelling development
- How to promote spelling development during all stages
- Techniques for teaching word recognition and spelling
- Methods for teaching spelling to students with learning disabilities
- Strategies for enhancing spelling skills in young children
We believe the learning experience should be engaging and effective. To keep the learning experience enjoyable, our expert instructors provide you with several methods for learning. After each lesson, you can take a quiz to test your knowledge of the topics. The quizzes are interactive and include links back to specific lesson topics in case you need to review any information. When you're ready to see how well you've absorbed all of the material, you can take a cumulative chapter exam.
1. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
2. Stages of Spelling Development
Children don't start out knowing how to spell words. Instead, spelling (like many other skills) develops over time and with practice. Watch this lesson to find out more about the stages of spelling development that children go through.
3. Promoting Spelling Development at All Stages
Spelling is an important skill that all students need to learn. Effective teachers design programs to promote spelling development for all students at all stages of development. This lesson details how to support students as they grow as spellers.
4. Teaching Strategies for Word Recognition & Spelling
Teaching word recognition and spelling skills can be complicated, but don't worry. This lesson gives an overview of techniques teachers can use to teach word recognition and spelling skills and gives a few examples of each.
5. Teaching Spelling to Students with Learning Disabilities
Spelling can be tough for students with learning disabilities. This lesson explores difficulties that may arise among students with learning disabilities who are learning to spell and identifies strategies teachers can use to help them succeed.
6. Promoting Spelling Skills in Young Children: Strategies & Activities
Teaching children how to spell is an important part of their literacy development. This lesson gives you some ideas for working on spelling with young children.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Early Childhood Education (206): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development in Early Childhood
- Promoting Listening & Speaking Skills in Early Childhood
- Emergent Literacy in Early Childhood Education
- Phonemic Awareness in Early Childhood Education
- Print Concepts in Early Childhood Education
- Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
- Word Identification Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Vocabulary Development in Early Childhood Education
- Reading Comprehension Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Applying Reading Skills in Early Childhood Education
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Process
- Mathematical Concepts in Early Childhood
- Teaching Mathematics to Children
- Scientific Concepts & Processes in Early Childhood Education
- Earth & Space Science: Early Childhood Education
- Life Science in Early Childhood Education
- Physical Science in Early Childhood Education
- Environmental Science in Early Childhood Education
- Science Education Strategies for Early Childhood
- Geography Tools: Overview & Concepts
- Overview of American History
- Illinois History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Social Sciences in Early Childhood Education
- Protecting Personal Safety
- Health & Physical Education in Early Childhood Education
- Fine Arts in Child Education
- Early Childhood Physical Development
- Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Social Development in Early Childhood Education
- Health & Safety Issues in Early Childhood
- Planning for Instruction: Classroom Strategies
- Assessments in Childhood Education
- Individualized Education Plans
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- The Early Childhood Education Professional
- Communication & Collaboration in Early Childhood Education
- ILTS Early Childhood Education Flashcards