About This Chapter
Business Ethics & Issues - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Social responsibility is an essential component in operating an ethical business. Aside from avoiding many legal infractions, businesses that prioritize sound ethics and responsible behavior often contribute to happier workforces and healthier environments. Use the information in this chapter to analyze the various ethical issues businesses encounter and determine how organizations can operate responsibly. Some of the topics covered in these lessons include:
- Application of ethics and social responsibility in modern-day businesses
- Types of ethical climates within organizations and strategies for improvement
- Explanation of organizational justice and its effect on behavior
- Case study of Starbucks' ethical structure
|Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses||Summarize how ethics apply to businesses today.|
|Organizational Ethical Climate: Definition, Issues & Improvement||Explain how the moral atmosphere of a business affects organizational behavior.|
|Social Responsibility in Organizations||Evaluate the role companies must play in protecting the environment and working to solve other social issues.|
|Organizational Justice: Definition and Relevance to Organizational Behavior||Compare the types of justice implemented within organizations.|
|Case Study: Business Ethics at Starbucks||Analyze how Starbucks implements ethics within its business structure.|
|How Organizations Promote Work-Life Balance: Definition and Common Practices||Consider work-life balance and its effect on employee turnover rates.|
1. Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses
The concept of ethics is easy to give examples of but hard to define. In this lesson, we will discuss ethics and how they apply in the business world, as well as discuss an example of an ethical situation using Enron.
2. Organizational Ethical Climate: Definition, Issues & Improvement
Organizational ethical climate refers to the moral atmosphere of the work environment and the level of ethics practiced within a company. Instrumental, caring, law and order, rules, and independence are the five types of ethical climate that can exist in an organization.
3. Social Responsibility in Organizations
Watch this video lesson to learn how companies put into practice their social responsibilities. Learn how a socially responsible company helps the environment, people, and employees along with giving freely to society.
4. Organizational Justice: Definition and Relevance to Organizational Behavior
Organizational justice concerns how employees view fairness in places of employment. The three types of justice are distributive, procedural, and interactional.
5. How Organizations Promote Work-Life Balance: Definition and Common Practices
The overall trend in organizations to keep employee turnover rates down is to offer significant programs that provide a work-life balance. A work-life balance is an organizational concept that empowers employees to split time and energy between work and other important areas of their life successfully.
6. Case Study: Business Ethics at Starbucks
Starbucks has long been known for their ethical conduct and compliance to high standards. The Starbucks culture is a combination of best practices, ethical decision-making and standards of business conduct that every partner must live by.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior course
- Overview of Organizational Behavior
- Leadership in Organizations
- Management Process & Strategy
- Diversity & Social Issues in Leadership
- Personality in Organizations
- Attitudes & Values in Organizations
- Perception & Attribution in Organizations
- Employee Morale & Motivation
- Motivation Theory
- Types of Workplace Communication
- Work Teams & Group Behavior
- Team Decision Making
- Conflict in Organizations
- Organizational Structure & Design
- Job Design in Organizations
- Organizational & Company Culture
- Change in Organizations
- Globalization & Organizational Behavior
- Required Assignments for Business 307
- Studying for Business 307