About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Business Ethics Overview chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Business ethics in contemporary businesses;|
ethical decision making;
factors that affect ethical workplace behavior
|How ethics factor into several areas of business, with examples;|
overview of the steps in ethical decision making;
individual and social factors, as well as situational opportunities, that influence business ethics
|Tuesday|| Theories of ethics;|
why businesses have ethical problems
|Overview of rights and natural laws, with examinations of theories including consequentialism, ethical relativism and ethics of care;|
reasons why ethical problems may occur, including a look at several types of ethical issues
|Wednesday|| Managing ethical behavior;|
organizational ethical climate
|How managers can influence ethics in the workplace;|
definition of an organizational ethical climate and ways it can be strengthened
|Thursday|| Ethics policies;|
organizational citizenship behavior
|How business can develop ethics policies and train employees in ethics;|
definition and utilization of organizational citizenship behavior
|Friday|| Workplace ethics and the law;|
professional and ethical conduct for attorneys in business
|How ethical and legal issues differ, with examples;|
ethics in the legal profession and their relationship to business law, overview of topics including malpractice, attorney/client privilege and conflicts of interest
1. Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses
The concept of ethics is easy to give examples of but hard to define. In this lesson, we will discuss ethics and how they apply in the business world, as well as discuss an example of an ethical situation using Enron.
2. Ethical Decision Making
We have to make decisions every day, and many of these decisions have an ethical dimension. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethical decision-making and a process you can use to make ethically sound decisions. A short quiz follows.
3. Factors that Affect Ethical Behavior in the Workplace
This lesson will help you understand the factors that affect ethical behavior in the workplace and allow you to consider your own ethical decision making standards.
4. Theories of Ethics: Rights & Natural Laws
Legal rights are those rights provided to citizens through the Constitution and other articles of the US legal system. Natural rights are rooted in the ethical, based on what is right or wrong. Learn more about ethics in this lesson.
5. Why Ethical Problems Occur in Business
In this lesson, you will learn that ethical problems occur because companies have a lack of integrity, organizational relationship problems, conflicts of interest, and misleading advertising.
6. Managing Ethical Behavior in the Workplace
Ethics are important in the business world. In this lesson, you will learn the techniques that managers use to command ethical behavior in the workplace.
7. Organizational Ethical Climate: Definition, Issues & Improvement
Organizational ethical climate refers to the moral atmosphere of the work environment and the level of ethics practiced within a company. Instrumental, caring, law and order, rules, and independence are the five types of ethical climate that can exist in an organization.
8. The Importance of Ethics Policies, Training & Reporting Programs in the Workplace
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of ethics policies, training and reporting programs in the workplace that help provide safeguards to maintain an ethical environment.
9. Organizational Citizenship Behavior in the Workplace: Definition and Examples
Organizational citizenship is a concept that all companies wish to have but very few can actually achieve. It is rooted in individual employees' view of the company and how they associate themselves with it.
10. The Difference Between Workplace Ethics and the Law
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between workplace ethics and the law through a comparison of two employees who each view a situation differently at their job.
11. Attorney Professional and Ethical Conduct in Business
Lawyers play an important part in business, but they must follow model rules regarding ethics. This lesson addresses legal ethics in business law, including malpractice, attorney-client privilege and conflicts of interest.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Ethics Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Employees, Stockholders, & Corporate Governance: Lesson Plans
- Management in Organizations: Lesson Plans
- Business, Government & Society: Lesson Plans
- Public Relations for Business: Lesson Plans
- Diversity in the Workforce: Lesson Plans
- The United States Government: Lesson Plans
- Business-Government Relations: Lesson Plans
- Government Regulation on Business: Lesson Plans
- Political Parties & Lawmaking: Lesson Plans
- Business & the Political Environment: Lesson Plans
- Composition & Roles of the Executive Branch: Lesson Plans
- The Federal Judicial Branch: Lesson Plans
- Antitrust Laws in Business: Lesson Plans
- Corporate Social Responsibility & Citizenship: Lesson Plans
- Business & the Community: Lesson Plans
- The Media's Impact on Business: Lesson Plans
- Consumer Rights & Regulations: Lesson Plans
- Ethics in Advertising: Lesson Plans
- Strategies of Special Interest Groups: Lesson Plans
- Technology, Business, & Society: Lesson Plans
- Environmental Issues in Business: Lesson Plans
- The Global Business Environment: Lesson Plans
- International Trade & Business Law: Lesson Plans