About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering business investments material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn business investments. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding business investments
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning finances (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about business investments
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra finance learning resources
How It Works
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the business investments chapter exam.
Why It Works
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the business investments chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any business investments question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a business investments unit of a standard investing course. Topics covered include:
- Explanation of an entrepreneur, capitalism, and the free market
- The roles of small businesses in American and global economies
- Franchises, sole proprietorship, LLCs, and corporations
- How to use and analyze the financial ratio calculation
1. Capitalism and the Free Market: Definition & Limitations
Capitalism is an economic system that has played a dominant part in building the world in which we currently live. In this lesson, you'll learn about some key concepts of capitalism, as well as its limitations.
2. What is an Entrepreneur? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Entrepreneurship is an important engine of growth in the economy. In this lesson, you'll learn about what an entrepreneur is and the key characteristics and skills that a successful entrepreneur possesses. Some examples of entrepreneurs will also be given.
3. Small Business in the American Economy
Nearly every business starts 'small.' In this lesson, you'll learn how a small business is defined, some characteristics of a small business, and the importance of them in the economy. You'll also learn why some small businesses fail.
4. Small Business in a Global Market
As the world moves closer to a global economy, more small businesses will look to expand into international markets. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the advantages and disadvantages that small businesses face in a global market.
5. Franchises: Opportunities and Challenges
Franchises offer a way for a person to start a proven business. In this lesson, you'll learn about franchises, including their advantages and disadvantages. You'll also learn about diversity and global challenges in franchising.
6. Types of Real Estate Investments
Many people invest in real estate as a way to earn a living or even just to make quick money. Whether it's a single-family residential home or a large office building, the real estate market is popular among investors.
7. What is a Sole Proprietorship? - Definition, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
Many businesses start out as sole proprietorships. In this lesson, you'll learn what a sole proprietorship is and its advantages and disadvantages. You'll also have a chance to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz.
8. The Basics of LLCs: Limited Liability Companies
The limited liability company is one of the most popular business organizational forms for small and medium-sized businesses. In this lesson, you'll learn about the key characteristics of a limited liability company. A short quiz follows.
9. Corporations: Types, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
Corporations are a popular form of business organization for large and small businesses. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages and disadvantages of a corporation. You'll also learn about S-corporations and C-corporations.
10. Corporate Expansion: Mergers and Acquisitions
Corporations can grow in two different ways: through expansion of their current business or through mergers and acquisitions. In this lesson, you'll learn about mergers and acquisitions. A short quiz follows.
11. The Role of Cooperatives in Business
A cooperative is a type of business organization used for a variety of economic and social purposes. In this lesson, you'll learn about cooperatives, their characteristics and the role they serve in the economy. A short quiz follows.
12. Financial Ratio Calculation and Analysis
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how financial ratios are calculated. You will also understand where they come from and how to read them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.