About This Chapter
Business Law & Ethics - Chapter Summary
No course in contemporary business would be complete without a focus on topics from the field of business law and ethics. You can learn about these topics by watching the informative, interactive video lessons included in this chapter. Each of these lessons will provide you with a comprehensive overview of a different topic needed to understand the basics of the laws and ethical principles relevant to business.
Included in this chapter are lessons on different types of business laws, governmental regulations, and ethical principles affecting different aspects of business practices. Each lesson is taught by an experienced instructor, who will share his or her expertise with you in a convenient and easy-to-use online format. Watch these lessons to learn about topics such as:
- Public law vs. private law
- Original and appellate court jurisdiction
- Government regulation and management
- U.S. federal regulatory agencies
- The types of regulation, privatization and deregulation
- Creditor rights in bankruptcy
- Copyright infringement
- Antitrust law
The video tags included in each lesson will help you locate the main points needed to understand that particular topic. You can also ensure that you have accurately understood the subject's main points by answering the questions in the chapter's practice quizzes and final exam. If you would like to get further clarification or information on specific points from these lessons, the chapter offers you the function of messaging the lesson instructors directly.
1. Sources of Law in the American Legal System
The rules that govern society come from a number of places. This lesson will cover the sources of law in the American legal system. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
2. Public Law vs. Private Law: Definitions and Differences
The simple difference between public and private law is in those that each affects. Public law affects society as a whole, while private law affects individuals, families, businesses and small groups.
3. Contract Law Terms: Definitions & Contract Types
A contract is an agreement between two or more parties to perform a service, provide a product or commit to an act and is enforceable by law. There are several types of contracts, and each have specific terms and conditions.
4. Real Property and Personal Property: Definition and Differences
Much of business law deals with property. There are actually two different types of property: personal property and real property. This lesson explains the differences between these two types of property.
5. Creditor Rights in Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy is governed by federal law and allows a debtor the legal right to reorganize, and sometimes discharge, his or her debts. This lesson explains the three main types of bankruptcy proceedings.
6. What is Copyright Infringement? - Understanding Copyright Law
Copyright is a type of intellectual property right that protects certain original works. Copyright laws work to provide authors with exclusive rights to their works. Any unauthorized use could amount to copyright infringement. This lesson explains copyright law and copyright infringement.
7. What Is the Uniform Commercial Code? - Definition & Example
After completing this lesson, you will have an understanding of what the Uniform Commercial Code is, its structure and how the Uniform Commercial Code applies to commercial and business transactions.
8. Business Ethics: Corporate Social Responsibility
Now that companies are concerned with society's welfare, corporate social responsibility is a controversial topic. In this lesson, learn the two theories of social responsibility and the arguments for and against the practice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Business Education (309): Practice & Study Guide course
- Organizational Management in Business
- Organizational Structures
- Human Resource Management in Business
- Human Resource Laws & Requirements
- Government Regulations for Consumer Protection
- Taxation for Corporations
- Business Accounting Overview
- Personal Finance & Consumer Economics
- Consumer Credit
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Computation & Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Microeconomics Concepts & Laws
- Microeconomics Fundamentals for Business
- Macroeconomics Principles for Business
- International Business & Trade
- Principles of Marketing & Market Research
- Consumer Behavior & Customer Satisfaction
- Selling & Sales Forecasting
- Fundamentals of E-commerce
- Entrepreneurship & Business Plans
- Business Communication Fundamentals
- Information Systems in Business
- Business Software
- Career Development in Business
- NES Business Education Flashcards