About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Business Leadership Styles chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Leadership orientation; transformational leadership||Task-oriented vs. people-oriented leaders; transformational leader characteristics, such as intelligence and charisma|
|Tuesday||Transactional leadership; servant leadership||Max Weber, Bernard Bass, extrinsic rewards and active vs. passive management style; philanthropy, moral responsibility, Robert Greenleaf|
|Wednesday||Laissez-faire leadership; democratic/participative leadership||Autonomy on the job and the anti-micromanager; advantages and disadvantages of a democratic or participative leader|
|Thursday||Authoritarian/autocratic leadership; charismatic leadership||Control freak and perfectionist; positive and negative charisma|
|Friday||Situational leadership; bureaucratic leadership||'It all depends' approach to management; 'by the book' management style, Max Weber|
1. Leadership Orientation: Task-Oriented & People-Oriented
As a leader, are you focused on getting the job done or on making people happy? This lesson will explain the difference between task-oriented leaders and people-oriented leaders to better help you decide.
2. The Transformational Leader
Transformational leaders are known for their innovation and influence. In this video, you'll explore the management styles and traits that contribute to their success.
3. The Transactional Leader
This lesson describes the characteristics of a transactional leader. Discover how a transactional leader depends on the concepts of actions and reactions to motivate, manage and guide employees to success.
4. The Servant Leader
If you've ever had a boss who has taken the blame for one of your errors, he or she may have been a servant leader. Find out in this lesson all the other characteristics of a servant leader.
5. The Laissez-faire Leader
This lesson describes the characteristics of the laissez-faire leader. Learn the characteristic style of this type of leader and what to expect from this leadership style.
6. The Participative or Democratic Leader
Explore the approach that a participative or democratic leader takes. In this lesson, you'll learn about the advantages and the drawbacks associated with this particular leadership style.
7. The Authoritarian or Autocratic Leader
If you've ever had to deal with a boss who's a control freak, this lesson on autocratic leaders may help you see your boss in a new light. Yes, there can be advantages when one person has complete control over decision making.
8. The Charismatic Leader
Have you ever noticed how some people seem to excel at being liked? Those people have what we call charisma. In this lesson, you'll explore how that charisma can be applied in a business management setting
9. The Situational Leader
Discover what makes the situational leader different from other types of leaders, following the contingency school of management. Learn how situational leadership is applied in the workplace.
10. The Bureaucratic Leader
You may hear people complain about the bureaucratic system and how it processes things slowly, but do you know why? This lesson describes characteristics of the bureaucratic leader. Learn how bureaucratic leadership can be used to improve businesses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Business Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- The Dynamic Business Environment Lesson Plans
- Ethical Behavior in Business Lesson Plans
- Economics & Business Lesson Plans
- Global Markets & Trade Lesson Plans
- Business Ownership Types Lesson Plans
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business Lesson Plans
- Managing & Leading in Business Lesson Plans
- Organizational Management Lesson Plans
- Business Production & Operations Lesson Plans
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation Lesson Plans
- Human Resources Basics Lesson Plans
- The Employer-Worker Relationship Lesson Plans
- Business Marketing Basics Lesson Plans
- Product Development & Retailing Lesson Plans
- Supply Chain Management Lesson Plans
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing Lesson Plans
- Product Promotion Lesson Plans
- MIS Basics Lesson Plans
- Information Technology Implications Lesson Plans
- Risk Management in Business Lesson Plans
- Accounting Basics Lesson Plans
- Financial Management Lesson Plans
- Securities Markets & Business Lesson Plans
- Money & Financial Institutions Lesson Plans