About This Chapter
Business Management Basics Chapter Summary
Take a closer look at a wide range of business management topics with the video lessons found in this chapter. Topics of study include:
- The functions of management
- Managerial decision making
- Organizational change
- Management theory
- Workplace motivation
These lessons are designed to bolster your understanding of relevant vocabulary terms and help you study topics of interest in greater detail. Whether you access instruction in the form of transcripts or short videos, our instructors employ a teaching style that makes the material engaging and easy to understand.
How to Use this Chapter
These lessons could be used to supplement topics of discussion in your own high school or college business course. Video illustrations can help improve your recall of the material, and the self-assessment quizzes are useful for checking your grasp of the main ideas. You might also match up these lessons with others included in our comprehensive collection of business courses, which are listed below:
- Accounting 101: Financial Accounting
- Business 100: Intro to Business
- Business 101: Principles of Management
- Business 102: Principles of Marketing
- Business 103: Introductory Business Law
- Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications
- Business 106: Human Resource Management
- Business 107: Organizational Behavior
- Business 108: Business Ethics
- Business 109: Intro to Computing
- Business 110: Business Math
- Business 111: Principles of Supervision
- Economics 102: Macroeconomics
1. Matrix Organizational Structure: Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
A matrix organizational structure is one of the most complicated reporting structures a company can implement. Read on to learn why a company might implement a matrix structure and the advantages and disadvantages for both company and staff.
2. Interpersonal Roles in Management: Types & Definition
In this lesson, we'll look specifically at the three interpersonal management roles and consider how you might respond when working within each of these roles.
3. Functional Structure of an Organization: Advantages, Disadvantages & Example
A functional organizational structure is one of several reporting structures a company could implement. Read on to learn why a company might implement a functional structure and the advantages and disadvantages for both company and staff.
4. Bureaucratic Management Theory: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll discuss bureaucratic management theory. This theory proposes that an ideally run organization consists of a group of people organized into a hierarchical structure and governed by rational-legal decision-making rules.
5. What Is Administrative Management Theory? - Definition & Functions
Administrative management is concerned with the design and management of an organization. In this lesson, you'll learn what administrative management theory is as well as its key components.
6. What Is Motivation In Management? - Definition, Process & Types
Motivation in management describes ways in which managers promote productivity in their employees. Learn about this topic, several theories of management, and ways in which this applies to the workplace. Use quiz questions to test your knowledge.
7. Upward Communication: Definition, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss what upward communication is and how it's used in the workplace. We'll also go over the advantages and disadvantages of upward communication.
8. Frederick Taylor: Theories, Principles & Contributions to Management
Frederick Taylor was an inventor, an engineer, and the father of scientific management theory. You will learn about Frederick Taylor, scientific management, and its effects on industrial management in this lesson.
9. Contingency Approach of Management: Definition & Example
The contingency approach to management holds that management techniques should be dependent upon the circumstances. In this lesson, you will learn what the contingency approach to management is and the key elements of contingency management.
10. What Is a Team Leader? - Description, Role & Responsibilities
Are you interested in becoming a team leader or need to find one for your organization? Read on to learn more about what a team leader is and the various roles and responsibilities that comes with this position.
11. Oral Communication: Definition, Types & Advantages
Oral communication is the process of expressing information or ideas by word of mouth. Learn more about the types and benefits of oral communication, and find out how you can improve your own oral communication abilities.
12. What Are Conceptual Skills in Management? - Definition & Examples
You know what a concept is, but what are conceptual skills and who uses them? After this lesson, you'll be able to identify conceptual managerial skills and understand how managers at various levels use these skills.
13. Horizontal Communication: Definition, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
Horizontal communication is an important means of organizational communication. In this lesson, you'll learn about its advantages and disadvantages. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
14. Scientific Management: Theories, Principles & Definition
Scientific management theory was developed in the early 20th century by Frederick W. Taylor. We will be exploring the primary principles of scientific management and some of its key contributors. You will also be given a chance to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz.
15. Downward Communication: Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Communication can flow down, up and laterally in an organization. In this lesson, you'll learn about downward communication, including some of its advantages and disadvantages. A short quiz follows the lesson.
16. What Is Democratic Leadership? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Democratic leadership is a style of leadership found in human resources theory and participative management. In this lesson, you will learn what democratic leadership is and some of its advantages and disadvantages. You will have the opportunity to reinforce your knowledge with a brief quiz after the lesson.
17. Participative Leadership Style: Definition, Theory & Examples
Participatory leadership style attempts to add a democratic dimension to modern management, which has generally been top-down and hierarchical in nature. In this lesson, we will provide a definition of participatory leadership, discuss some of its theoretical principles and provide a few examples.
18. Channel of Communication: Types & Definition
In this lesson, we'll discuss what communication channels are and why we use them. We'll also cover the different groups of communication channels and some examples of each group.
19. Elton Mayo's Theory of Motivations & Contributions to Management Theory
Elton Mayo was a philosopher, author, Harvard professor, and designer of the 'Hawthorne Experiments,' which significantly changed management science thinking. Read on to learn what he discovered and how it still impacts management practices today.
20. External Recruitment: Advantages, Disadvantages & Methods
Do you have a job vacancy and want to learn more about external recruiting? Read on to find out the advantages and disadvantages of this type of recruiting process, as well as the different methods that are used to find potential employees outside of an organization.
21. Job Rotation: Definition, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about job rotation, including its advantages and disadvantages. Examples will also be provided. You can reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson.
22. Profitability Ratio: Definition, Formula, Analysis & Example
How do you know if a company is performing well? In this lesson, you'll learn about various profitability ratios, including what they mean, their formulas and examples illustrating them. A short quiz follows the lesson.
23. Accounting Cycle: Definition, Steps & Process
Accounting isn't just about working with numbers. It is about following guidelines to get the job done. In this lesson, you will learn what the accounting cycle is and the steps to complete it.
24. Departmentalization in Management: Definition, Types & Advantages
Organizing an organization through departmentalization is common. In this lesson, you'll learn what departmentalization is, some types of departmentalization, and its advantages. A short quiz follows the lesson.
25. Job Enrichment: Definition, Advantages, Disadvantages & Examples
What is job enrichment? What are the benefits of a job enrichment program? Are there disadvantages to enriching jobs? In this lesson we'll discuss what job enrichment is, how to do it, and the good and bad of modifying jobs in your organization.
26. How to Start a Web Design Business
Thinking about starting a web design business? Wondering what steps you need to take? In this lesson, you'll learn more about the important points to consider when beginning a new web design venture.
27. What is Remuneration? - Definition & Examples
Remuneration or renumeration? Which one is it? In this lesson you'll learn the difference between these terms and also see examples of forms of remuneration.
28. Remuneration Packages: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will explore the definition of remuneration packages and the various types of remuneration packages in relation to employment. In addition, you will learn about remuneration packages you can receive in civil lawsuits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Management: Help and Review course
- Management Basics: Help and Review
- Classical School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Behavioral School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Contemporary and Future School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Planning in Organizations: Help and Review
- Organizational Change: Help and Review
- Organizing in Business Management: Help and Review
- Work Teams: Help and Review
- Leading in Organizations: Help and Review
- Leadership Theory: Help and Review
- Motivation in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Communication in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Controlling in Organizations: Help and Review
- Human Resources Basics: Help and Review
- Strategic Management and Managerial Decision Making: Help and Review
- Production and Quality Assurance: Help and Review
- Managing Organizational Changes
- International Management and Contemporary Issues: Help and Review
- Introduction to Small Business Management
- Theories of Business Management