About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering introductory business material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn introductory business. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding marketing strategies or business marketing basics
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning business (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about business marketing basics
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra business learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the business marketing basics chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the business marketing basics chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any basic business marketing question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a business marketing basics unit of a standard introductory business course. Topics covered include:
- Types of competitive advantage
- Target market strategies
- The role of marketing research
- The difference between business and consumer marketing
- Market segmentation
1. Types of Competitive Advantage: Cost, Product, Niche & Sustainable Advantages
Companies need that special something to draw in new customers and keep them coming back. Learn about competitive advantage and the different ways a company can have it.
2. Target Market Strategies for Successful Business
If you've ever felt persuaded to buy an item by an ad, you've likely been defined as part of a target market. Though you may not know it, advertisements are created specifically for people similar to you. In this lesson, you'll learn how marketing firms identify a target market, create basic target market strategies and use a marketing mix for a product or service.
3. Marketing Research: Definition, Purpose and Role in Marketing Strategy
If you're a business owner, you need to know your clientele. Watch this lesson to understand the purpose and role of marketing research strategy in an overall marketing plan. This might be just the info you need!
4. B2B vs. B2C: How Business Marketing Differs from Consumer Marketing
A business-to-business sales situation has numerous key differences from a business-to-consumer situation. Marketing managers must develop a business selling strategy and be aware of the five different aspects of business buying behavior compared to consumer buying.
5. Market Segmentation: Geographic, Demographic, Psychographic & More
Marketers must be effective at creating niche segments to promote and sell their products or services. There are five specific ways that markets can be segmented in order to create a successful sales opportunity.
6. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in our buying decisions. Watch this video to see how cultures, values and other influences shape our purchases.
7. What Is Geographic Segmentation in Marketing? - Definition, Advantages & Examples
During your travels across the country, you may have noticed that store shelves are not stocked exactly the same. In this lesson, you'll learn about geographic segmentation and its advantages. A short quiz will follow.
8. What is a Logo? - Design & Development
Businesses need to come up with a sort of sign to be identifiable in a market. This sign or logo is what we will discuss today. We will go over the design and development of a logo.
9. Business Logo: Branding & Importance
This lesson introduces the business logo, one of the most important aspects of marketing a business. We will also discuss branding and its importance to business marketing. Finally, we will look at how the logo and brand are related.
10. How to Write a Press Release
Press releases are an important element in the marketing of a new product, service, or event. This lesson examines how creating an effective press release helps create awareness of a new offering.
11. Introduction to Marketing: Definition and Applications
In this introductory video lesson on marketing, you'll learn what marketing is, how it's used to reach consumers and why it's important to businesses. You'll also see how exchange is related to marketing.
12. Marketing, Production, Sales & Societal Marketing Orientation
You will learn the difference between marketing, production, sales and societal marketing orientations and how it can affect a company's financial success.
13. Market Orientation and Sales Orientation: Definition and Differences
You will learn the different ways an organization can focus their internal strengths. You will understand the five main differences between a sales and market orientation.
14. Competitive Advantage: The Importance of Strategic Marketing
Companies have many options when it comes to gaining market share and increasing profits. Learn about strategic marketing and the tools companies use to their advantage.
15. The Marketing Mix: Product, Place, Price & Promotion
A marketing plan is the central part of the overall marketing strategy. A marketing plan's main focus is the marketing mix, which consists of product, place, promotion and price decisions. All four elements are very flexible and have many options. The main purpose of the marketing mix is to effectively communicate with the target market.
16. Marketing Environment: External Influences on Marketing Strategy
What influences how a business sells its products - and itself? In this lesson, you will learn more about external influences that affect the marketing strategy of a business.
17. Attitudes, Values & Belief: Social Factors in Marketing
Why do consumers make the choices they do? What causes them to purchase certain products? In this lesson, you will learn how the culture, attitudes, values and beliefs of consumers are the social factors that affect how marketers create a successful target marketing mix.
18. Market Segmentation: Why Market Segments Are Important to Marketers
Marketing managers must understand the importance of segmenting a market and the specific criteria for successful segmentation. Before the 1960's, most companies tried to market products to the masses with declining success. It is important to identify key target markets!
19. Buying Behavior and Marketing: Types of Consumer Buying Decisions
Marketers must consider how consumers decide to buy their product. Consumers use nominal, limited, and extended decision making. Watch this video to learn more about the different types of consumer decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Business: Help and Review course
- The Dynamic Business Environment: Help and Review
- Business Morality & Code of Conduct: Help and Review
- Economics and Business: Help and Review
- Business in Global Markets: Help and Review
- Forms of Business Ownership: Help and Review
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business: Help and Review
- Managing and Leading in Business: Help and Review
- Leadership Styles in Business: Help and Review
- Organizational Management: Help and Review
- Project Management Basics: Help and Review
- Business Production and Operations: Help and Review
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation: Help and Review
- Basics of Human Resources: Help and Review
- Managing the Employer-Worker Relationship: Help and Review
- Product Development and Retailing: Help and Review
- Product Distribution & Supply Chain Management: Help and Review
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing: Help and Review
- Product Promotion in Business: Help and Review
- MIS Basics in Business: Help and Review
- Implications of Information Technology: Help and Review
- Risk Management in Business: Help and Review
- Accounting Basics: Help and Review
- Financial Management in Business: Help and Review
- Securities Markets and Business: Help and Review
- Lean in Business
- Money and Financial Institutions: Help and Review
- Strategic Planning for Small Businesses
- Small Business Analysis Models
- Small Business Entrepreneurship
- Ethical Behavior & Social Responsibility in Small Business
- Product Pricing for Small Business