About This Chapter
Business Planning & Organizational Design - Chapter Summary
You can use our entertaining video lessons to learn key points about business planning and organizational design. Each lesson contained in this chapter can teach you about a different topic in a clear and accessible format. You will learn different key components of organizational design, their purposes and their functions. Specific topics covered in this chapter include:
- The definition and examples of company mission statements
- Organizational design
- Mechanistic and organic business structures
- Work specialization
- Traditional and contemporary organizational designs
The chapter also includes practice quizzes that will be helpful in making sure that you have accurately understood the key points. You can also return to specific moments in each video by using the video tabs. Make sure to track your progress going through the lessons by using your personal Dashboard.
1. Company Mission Statements: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the role of a mission statement in an organization. Learn the definition of a mission statement, how they are created and how they are used.
2. Organizational Design and Structure
There is a relationship between organizational design and structure because of different factors. Organizational size, organizational life cycle, strategy, environment and technology work together to form a complete organization.
3. Mechanistic & Organic Organizational Business Structures
Different organizations require different structures. This lesson describes the differences between mechanistic and organic organizational structures by looking at the specifics of organizations.
4. Work Specialization in Organizations
One of the most important decisions an organization will need to make is how to get work done. This lesson will explain the purpose of work specialization in an organization and how it is used to organize separate jobs.
5. Authority in Centralized & Decentralized Organizations
There are several approaches to authority. In this lesson, learn about the centralized organization, where authority is top-down through a chain of command. Contrast that with the decentralized organization, where authority is assigned at different levels in the hierarchy.
6. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
7. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Business Education (542): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Contract Law
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Ethics of Advertising, Marketing & Privacy
- Property Law Basics
- Employment Law
- Collective Bargaining & Unions
- Workplace Communication
- The Central Bank & Monetary Policy
- Economic & Political Systems
- Basics of Economics & Finance
- Economic Indicators
- Fiscal & Monetary Policies in Economics
- International Trade Laws & Regulations
- Financial Management & Planning
- Fundamentals of Money & Banking
- Principles of Personal Finance
- Securities Market Basics
- Creditors' Rights in Business Law
- Negotiable Instruments
- Insurance & Managing Risk
- Organizational & Group Behaviors in Business Management
- Management Styles & Theory
- Leadership and Management
- Motivation in Business Management
- Strategic Decision Making & Problem Solving
- Work Groups & Teams
- Human Resources Basics
- Employee Benefits
- Production & Operations Management
- Computation in Business
- Basic Statistical Analysis for Business
- Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Customer Relationship Strategies & Maintenance
- Starting a New Business
- E-Commerce Business Models
- Use of Information Systems in Business
- Business Software
- Network Systems Technology Overview
- Information Security & Protection
- Career & Professional Development in Business
- GACE Business Education Flashcards