About This Chapter
Business Records Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines core components of business records management. You'll learn about important terms to be familiar with as well as the stages and classification of business records processes and categories. Topics include all of the following:
- Terminology and examples of records management
- Organizational procedures related to records management
- The definition and phases of the life cycle of a record
- Comparing physical and electronic records management
- Protecting record confidentiality
The dashboard feature gives you the ability to keep tabs on your recent activity and progress through the chapter. You'll also find links to relevant practice quizzes and additional courses you can use to supplement your studies on the dashboard. These quizzes can be taken as many times as you like and can be printed as worksheets for offline use.
1. Records Management Basics: Terminology & Examples
In this lesson, we will introduce and define several terms which are a key factor in records management such as active records, inactive records, file maintenance, HIPAA, FERPA, and others.
2. Records Management Process in Organizations
Most organizations deal with large amounts of information on a regular basis and require a records management process. Learn how a records management process assists organizations in creating, classifying, and managing their documents.
3. Records Life Cycle: Definition & Stages
This lesson will introduce the records life cycle. We'll also go into detail about the three stages of the records life cycle: creation, maintenance, and final disposition.
4. Business Records Classification & Categories
Successful businesses have a records management system in place to keep their records current and accessible. Learn about the different categories of business records and how they are classified.
5. Physical & Electronic Records Management
In this lesson, we will define and distinguish between physical and electronic records. We will also look at how these records are to be identified, stored, retrieved, and disposed.
6. Maintaining Record Confidentiality
The lesson addresses several issues pertaining to maintaining record confidentiality. This includes related laws and regulations, as well as various types of records that need to be kept secure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Overview
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Using Software & Media to Communicate
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Design of Technical & Business Documents
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Group Communication Skills in the Workplace
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- Human Resource Management Basics
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Managerial & Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards