About This Chapter
Business Software - Chapter Summary
With new technology showing up every day, business professionals have to know about the different software programs out there. This chapter provides a thorough overview of the different uses for business software, including a look at some of the basic functions of operating systems, such as software and hardware services, communication, system management, and data security. Get up to speed on business software by using this chapter to review the following:
- Software and hardware needs for computer operating systems
- Types of operating systems
- Objective-based application software
- Common file types and extensions
- Open Office and Microsoft Office
- Software for typical word processing and desktop publishing
- Programs for building graphics and presentations
- Software used for spreadsheets and databases
- The functions of communication software
- Trade-specific application software
- Software designed for teams working together
Reviewing these topics may seem intimidating if you're not tech savvy. No need to stress - our instructors have broke down the chapter into short, easy-to-get-through lessons. Start by clicking on the first lesson of the chapter. You can watch the entire lesson and read through the transcripts, or you can use the timeline feature to skip to key parts of the video you want to go over.
1. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
2. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
The operating system (or OS ) is the brain of a computer and manages its functions, including systems management/monitoring, communication/networking services management, security services management, and hardware/software services management.
3. Enterprise, Workgroup & Personal Operating Systems
While every computer needs an operating system, different devices and different users need different functionalities. Learn about the different types of operating systems.
4. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
5. File Extensions and File Types: MP3, GIF, JPG, DOCX, XLSX, EXE, & More
File extensions are used to indicate the format of files so operating systems know what to do with them. Learn why there are so many different file extensions. Also learn about some of the most widely used file extensions.
6. Microsoft Office and Open Office: Office Suite Applications
Office suite software is a collection of commonly used applications. It typically includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Learn how these applications work together to increase productivity in this video lesson.
7. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
8. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
9. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
10. Communication Software: Purpose & Examples
You use communication software every day, from E-mail to texting. In this lesson, we'll review the purpose of communication software and provide examples of its use in modern systems.
11. Personal Application Software: Educational, Real Estate, Legal, Finance & Architectural
Specialized software applications have been developed for different areas. Learn about the software being used by educators, real estate agents, lawyers, accountants and architects.
12. Workgroup Application Software for Business Teams
Many activities in organizations are carried out by workgroups. Learn about specialized workgroup software that makes it easier for members to communicate and collaborate more effectively in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Business Education (542): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Contract Law
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Ethics of Advertising, Marketing & Privacy
- Property Law Basics
- Employment Law
- Collective Bargaining & Unions
- Workplace Communication
- The Central Bank & Monetary Policy
- Economic & Political Systems
- Basics of Economics & Finance
- Economic Indicators
- Fiscal & Monetary Policies in Economics
- International Trade Laws & Regulations
- Financial Management & Planning
- Fundamentals of Money & Banking
- Principles of Personal Finance
- Securities Market Basics
- Creditors' Rights in Business Law
- Negotiable Instruments
- Insurance & Managing Risk
- Business Planning & Organizational Design
- Organizational & Group Behaviors in Business Management
- Management Styles & Theory
- Leadership and Management
- Motivation in Business Management
- Strategic Decision Making & Problem Solving
- Work Groups & Teams
- Human Resources Basics
- Employee Benefits
- Production & Operations Management
- Computation in Business
- Basic Statistical Analysis for Business
- Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Customer Relationship Strategies & Maintenance
- Starting a New Business
- E-Commerce Business Models
- Use of Information Systems in Business
- Network Systems Technology Overview
- Information Security & Protection
- Career & Professional Development in Business
- GACE Business Education Flashcards