About This Chapter
Business, Trade & The Environment - Chapter Summary
As you go through these lessons on business, trade and the environment, you'll learn about environmental policies and the impact of sustainable development. There are also case studies about the impact of business decisions, including one that involves the Bridgestone/Firestone company. By the end of the chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain the relationship between world trade rules and environmental policies
- Discuss the impact of an environmental disaster on business
- Recall a situation where key events and/or poor decisions affected business
- List obstacles to sustainable development
- Describe how future generations can benefit from sustainable development
The engaging teaching style used by our educators can help you get up to speed on these topics in little time. A short multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as offline study worksheets.
1. World Trade Rules & Environmental Policies
Environmental policies help the environment by managing human activities. Learn how world trade rules and environmental policies relate to each other and the impact they can have on environmental protection in this lesson.
2. Effects of Environmental Disasters Caused by Corporations
The effect of environmental disasters on business is significant. A disaster hinders the corporation's profit, hurts their brand image, and could put their reputation at stake. Learn about some of these effects, and solutions to remedy the disaster.
3. The Cost of Poor Decisions in Business: Case Studies
In this lesson, we will review the cases of Union Carbide India Limited and the Bridgestone/Firestone company. We will discuss key events and bad decisions that cost each company millions of dollars.
4. Sustainable Development: Definition, Obstacles & Impact
Let's discuss the idea of sustainable development. Then, let's looks at the obstacles involved with developing the world's economy to meet the needs of the present without hurting future generations. After the video, test what you learned through our practice quiz.
5. Sustainable Development within Environmental Limits
Sustainable development is a way of meeting the needs of both present and future generations. Learn how sustainable development must work within the environmental limits so future generations can benefit from the rich resources of the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Environmental Science: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Environmental Science Overview
- Living Things in Ecosystems
- Ecosystem Cycles & Processes
- Kinds of Ecosystems
- Water Resources & Pollution
- Atmosphere, Climate & Air Pollution
- Soil & Land Pollution & Conservation
- Population Growth & Its Impact on Poverty
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Conservation Biology & Protecting Biodiversity
- Energy Use
- Overview of Waste & Waste Management
- Global Sustainability Efforts
- ICSE Environmental Science Flashcards