About This Chapter
C++ Programming Functions - Chapter Summary
Make the process of studying C++ programming functions simple using the entertaining lessons in this short chapter. Our expert instructors can help you gain greater insight into variable scope and storage, standard library functions and much more. Multiple-choice quizzes in this chapter ensure you have a quality grasp of the important concepts in the lessons. Our broader exam tests your comprehension of the entire chapter. Enjoy access to these study tools 24/7 using any computer, smartphone or tablet. After completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- List and discuss functions and parameters in C++ programming
- Share facts about passing a variable by reference and value
- Define recursion and iteration in C++ programming
- Offer examples of overloading functions
- Discuss the practical application of C++programming
1. Functions & Parameters in C Programming
This article explains what is a function in C programming language and how it can be used. It also explains the variables associated in declaring and naming functions. We will also see example of functions that return a value.
2. Standard Library Functions in C++: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the Standard Library in C++ and the functions available to you for a wide range of options. Working code examples are provided.
3. Variable Scope in C Programming
In this lesson, you will learn about the scope of variable inside the program or within a specific functions. You will learn which scope is appropriate to use in different conditions. Working code examples are provided.
4. Variable Storage in C++ Programming: Function, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn some more advanced features of data storage in C++. We will define storage classes and provide samples of their use through working code examples.
5. Passing a Variable by Reference & Value in C Programming
This lesson explains Call By Reference and its implementation along with the explanation of pointers, reference, and de-reference operators. We also compare with Call by Value.
6. Recursion & Iteration in C++ Programming: Definition & Occurrence
In this lesson, you will learn how recursion and iteration are used in C++. Both have important uses and functions. Working code examples are provided to reinforce these concepts.
7. Overloading Functions in C++ Programming with Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss what function overloading is in C++ and how to correctly overload functions. We will also discuss the purpose of overloading functions and share examples of overloading common functions in C++.
8. Practical Application for C++ Programming: Functions
In this practical lesson, you will write a C++ program that creates a function; this function will pass values both by value and by reference. You will write, run, and test your code.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 112: Programming in C++ course
- Computer Programming Elements & Basics
- Programming Basics in C++
- Programming Using Branching in C++
- Programming Using Loops in C++
- Arrays & Vectors in C++ Programming
- Strings in C++ Programming
- Classes in C++ Programming
- File Streams in C++ Programming
- Pointers & Memory in C++ Programming
- Inheritance, Polymorphism & Encapsulation in C++ Programming
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 112