About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your CAHSEE math exam prep.
- Identify the matrices and absolute value concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our CAHSEE Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about matrices and absolute value and earn passing scores on the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding dilations and reflections, determinants, graphing or any other matrices and absolute value topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning about math visually
- Find themselves struggling with their CAHSEE math exam preparation
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school math
- Don't have access to CAHSEE math exam prep materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about matrices and absolute value simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live math tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about matrices and absolute value on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to take the determinant of a matrix.
- Graph dilations and reflections for absolute value equations.
- Perform transformations for absolute value graphs.
- Solve absolute value problems.
- Evaluate absolute value expressions.
- Define matrices and absolute value.
1. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
2. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
3. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
4. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
5. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
6. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
7. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
8. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Tutoring Solution course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Overview of Functions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem & Congruency: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Logic: Tutoring Solution