About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering CAHSEE math material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding basic arithmetic operations or the properties of real and rational numbers
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about number theory and basic arithmetic
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any number theory or basic arithmetic question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a number theory and basic arithmetic unit of a standard high school math course. Topics covered include:
- Types of numbers
- Graphs of rational numbers
- Notation for rational numbers
- The order of real numbers
- The absolute value of a real number
- Components of a number line
- Binary and non-binary operations
- Arithmetic calculations with signed numbers
- The commutative property
- The associative property
- The multiplication property of zero
- The greatest common factor
- The least common multiple
- Parentheses in math
- Algebra vocabulary terms
- The order of operations
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
3. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
4. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
5. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
6. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
7. Binary and Non-Binary Operations
Binary and non-binary are two terms that might really scare you, much like an operation may scare you. But don't worry, this lesson is super fun and super easy. You'll learn the definitions of these terms and see examples of each.
8. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
9. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
10. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
11. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
12. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
13. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
14. Parentheses in Math: Rules & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how parentheses are used in math. Learn how to read them as multiplication and how they let you know which numbers to work with first.
15. Algebra Vocabulary Terms
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic vocabulary words that you will come across again and again in the course of your studies in algebra. After you finish this video, you should know and be able to identify each term.
16. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
17. Additive Property: Definition & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the additive property of equality, the additive property of inequalities, and the additive inverse property. You will also be able to use these properties to solve problems.
18. How to Write Numbers in Words: Rules & Examples
Knowing how to write numbers as words is important in academic and professional settings. In this lesson, we will cover the main rules along with examples to show you how to write numbers as words.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Help and Review course
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Radical Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Overview of Functions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Triangles & the Pythagorean Theorem: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Logic: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Math Exam Help and Review Flashcards