About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering CAHSEE math material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to work with function operations and their graphs
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about functions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Overview of Functions chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Overview of Functions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any functions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a functions unit of a standard high school math course. Topics covered include:
- Function basics and key terms
- Transformations of a function's graph
- Arithmetic operations with functions
- Function domain and range
- Function composition
- Inverse functions
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
3. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
4. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
5. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
8. How to Find Horizontal Asymptotes
In this lesson, we will learn rules and definitions that will enable us to find horizontal asymptotes. Through applying these rules and through examples, we will deepen our understanding of finding horizontal asymptotes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Help and Review course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Radical Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Triangles & the Pythagorean Theorem: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Logic: Help and Review