About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your CAHSEE math exam prep.
- Identify the functions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our CAHSEE Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about mathematical functions and earn passing scores on the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding domain and range, inverse functions, transformations or any other functions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning about math visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school math
- Don't have access to CAHSEE math exam prep materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about mathematical functions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live math tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about mathematical functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Understand the basics of functions.
- Learn how to perform transformations.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide functions.
- Define domain and range in a function.
- Be able to compose functions.
- Explain how to work with inverse functions.
- Learn how to apply function operations.
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
3. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
4. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
5. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
8. Algebraic Rule: Definition & Concept
An algebraic rule is a method for describing the relationship between two variables. This lesson will give a definition of an algebraic rule, show some examples and give you the steps to create rules when given a set of data.
9. Finding Critical Points in Calculus: Function & Graph
This lesson develops the understanding of what a critical point is and how they are found. It explores the definition and discovery of critical points using functions and graphs as well as possible uses for them in the everyday world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Tutoring Solution course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem & Congruency: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Logic: Tutoring Solution