About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your CAHSEE math exam preparation.
- Identify the decimal and fraction concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our CAHSEE Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about decimals and fractions and earn passing scores on the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding least common denominators, number lines, mixed numbers or any other decimals and fractions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning about math visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school math
- Don't have access to CAHSEE prep materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about decimals and fractions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live math tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about decimals and fractions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to perform arithmetic with decimal numbers.
- Understand how to estimate in math.
- Build and reduce fractions.
- Be able to find the least common denominator.
- Compare and order fractions.
- Switch between improper fraction and mixed number form.
- Add and subtract like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers.
- Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers.
- Make estimations using fractions.
- Solve problems that include fractions and mixed numbers.
- Explain how to solve complex fractions.
- Compare decimals, fractions and whole numbers using a number line.
- Use whole numbers to simplify word problems that include fractions.
1. Arithmetic with Decimal Numbers
Watch this video lesson and see how our little professor goes about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimal numbers all without the use of a calculator!
2. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
3. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
4. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
5. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
6. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
7. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
8. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
9. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
10. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
11. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
12. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
13. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
14. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
15. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
16. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Tutoring Solution course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Overview of Functions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Triangles, the Pythagorean Theorem & Congruency: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Tutoring Solution
- CAHSEE - Logic: Tutoring Solution