About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other AP calculus work.
- Identify the calculating derivatives and derivative rules concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our AP calculus tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about calculating derivatives and derivative rules for AP calculus and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to calculate derivatives of trigonometric functions or polynomial and exponential equations, use the chain rule or quotient rule, calculate higher order derivatives or any other derivative calculations and rules topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their calculating derivatives and derivative rules unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in AP calculus
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about calculating derivatives and derivative rules for AP calculus simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live calculus tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about calculating derivatives and derivative rules on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Use limits to calculate derivatives.
- Apply the rules of differentiation to calculate derivatives.
- Find derivatives of implicit functions.
- Calculate higher order derivatives.
- Learn when to use the quotient rule for differentiation.
1. Using Limits to Calculate the Derivative
If you know the position of someone as a function of time, you can calculate the derivative -- the velocity of that person -- as a function of time as well. Use the definition of the derivative and your knowledge of limits to do just that in this lesson.
2. The Linear Properties of a Derivative
In this lesson, learn two key properties of derivatives: constant multiples and additions. You will 'divide and conquer' in your approach to calculating the limits used to find derivatives.
3. Calculating Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions
The trigonometric functions show up almost everywhere that you have a repeating pattern. In this lesson, learn how to find the derivatives of the trigonometric functions.
4. Calculating Derivatives of Polynomial Equations
Polynomials can describe just about anything and are especially common in describing motion. Learn the tricks to quickly finding the derivatives of these ubiquitous functions.
5. Calculating Derivatives of Exponential Equations
Earth's population is booming! But why is the population increasing so much more drastically than it did many years ago? In this lesson, learn how to calculate the rates of change in exponentials by discovering the rules of derivatives with exponents.
6. Using the Chain Rule to Differentiate Complex Functions
If you've ever seen a complicated function, this lesson is for you. Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions, for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn how to use the chain rule to simplify nesting equations.
7. Differentiating Factored Polynomials: Product Rule and Expansion
Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn what happens to derivatives when you multiply functions together.
8. When to Use the Quotient Rule for Differentiation
Lo D Hi minus Hi D Lo, all over the square of what's below! Learn the quotient rule chant for differentiating functions that take the form of fractions in this lesson.
9. Understanding Higher Order Derivatives Using Graphs
The derivative is a rate of change, like velocity. What happens, though, when your velocity - that is, your rate of change - is changing? Explore the changing changes in this lesson.
10. Calculating Higher Order Derivatives
Differentiating functions doesn't have to stop with the first or even second derivative. Learn what a mathematical jerk is as you calculate derivatives of any order in this lesson.
11. How to Find Derivatives of Implicit Functions
How do you define the rate of change when your function has variables that cannot be separated? Learn how implicit differentiation can be used to find dy/dx even when you don't have y=f(x)!
12. How to Calculate Derivatives of Inverse Trigonometric Functions
Like a metronome, trigonometric functions are regular. Even predictable. In this lesson, you will learn how to use this predictability to remember the derivative formulas for these common functions.
13. Applying the Rules of Differentiation to Calculate Derivatives
In this lesson, we'll review common derivatives and their rules, including the product, quotient and chain rules. We'll also examine how to solve derivative problems through several examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Tutoring Solution course
- Functions in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing and Functions in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Differential Equations in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Area Under the Curve and Integrals in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule: Tutoring Solution
- AP Calculus - Integration: Tutoring Solution
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Tutoring Solution