About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering how to solve derivatives will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about calculating derivatives derivative rules. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to find or solve for derivatives of sine, cosine and more
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about calculating derivatives
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra calculus learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about how to calculate derivatives. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a calculating derivatives derivative rules unit of a standard AP Calculus course. Topics covered include:
- Calculating the derivative of the square root of x
- Finding the derivative of cos(2x) and cos(x)
- Determining the derivative of 2x, e^x, log(x), and xln(x)
- Solving the derivative of ln(x) and more
1. Finding the Derivative of the Square Root of x
This lesson will show how to find the derivative of the square root of x. We will then look at two different ways to check our work: one involving limits and the other involving integrals.
2. Solving the Derivative of cos(2x)
So you want to learn how to solve the derivative of cos(2x). This lesson will do just that. We will look at how to use the chain rule to find this derivative and also see how to check our work using integrals.
3. Solving the Derivative of cos(x)
In this lesson, we will see how to find the derivative of cos(x). We will also see the derivatives of all the basic trigonometric functions and discuss why it is useful to be familiar with these derivatives.
4. Solving the Derivative of ln(x)
The derivative of ln(x) is a well-known derivative. This lesson will show us the steps involved in finding this derivative, and it will go over a real world application that involves the derivative of ln(x).
5. Solving the Derivative of ln(sqrt x)
In this video, we'll learn how to find the derivative of ln(sqrt(x)) and review the chain rule for derivatives. After we've found the derivative, we'll see how it can be applied to an everyday situation.
6. Finding the Derivative of sec^2(x)
In this lesson, we'll see how to find the derivative of sec^2(x). We'll go over the chain rule and a few well-known formulas that will help us find this derivative and see how integrals can be used to check the answer.
7. Finding the Derivative of e^x
After you read this lesson, you will know how to quickly find the derivative of e^x. You'll learn that your answer is actually already written out for you and all you have to do is to write down as you see it.
8. Finding the Derivative of log(x)
In this lesson, we will learn a formula that we can use to find the derivative of log(x). We'll also look at where this formula comes from and use it to find another well known derivative.
9. Solving the Derivative of 2x
This lesson will show the formula we can use to find the derivative of 2x. It will also show another way of finding this derivative using different properties and rules. We'll finish off with an application of this specific problem that could show up in our daily lives.
10. Finding the Derivative of xln(x)
In this lesson, we will see how to use the product rule for derivatives to find the derivative of xln(x). Once we have found our derivative, we will look at how we can check our work and know we did everything correctly.
11. Finding the Derivative of 1/cos(x)
This lesson will explain how to find the derivative of 1 / cos(x). In the process of doing so, we will also look at the quotient rule for derivatives, derivatives of trigonometric functions, and some trigonometric identities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Help and Review course
- Functions in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Graphing and Functions in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Limits in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Calculus - Derivatives Calculations & Rules: Help & Review
- Differential Equations in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Area Under the Curve and Integrals in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- L'Hopital's Rule & Graphing Derivatives: Help & Review
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Help and Review