About This Chapter
Calculating & Presenting Statistics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Never get scared off by the term 'statistics' again! Expert instructors will walk you through lessons dealing with the measures of central tendency, such as mean, median, mode and range. You can also practice reading data in tables, schedules, bar graphs and pie charts. Take the quick quiz that accompanies each lesson to be sure you're on track. When you've finished this chapter, you'll be well versed in the following topics:
- Dispersion and skewness
- Properties and characteristics of normal distribution
- Regression analysis
- Understanding data in tables, schedules, graphs and charts
|How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range||Learn to calculate measures of central tendencies.|
|Measures of Dispersion and Skewness||Find out how the statistical characteristics of dispersion and skewness can be used to describe data.|
|Normal Distribution: Definition, Properties, Characteristics & Example||Discover why the bell curve is an important distribution in studying data.|
|Regression Analysis: Definition & Examples||Examine how regression analysis can help you analyze info from surveys and observations.|
|Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables & Schedules||Compare the types of information that may be displayed in tables and schedules.|
|Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts||Take a look at how data can be compared in bar graphs and pie charts.|
1. Mean, Median, Mode & Range
In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set. These calculations, known as measures of central tendency, can provide valuable information about a data set.
2. Measures of Dispersion and Skewness
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can describe your data using two different statistical characteristics. Learn what it means for your graph to have variability and what it means for your graph to be skewed.
3. Normal Distribution: Definition, Properties, Characteristics & Example
In this lesson, we will look at the Normal Distribution, more commonly known as the Bell Curve. We'll look at some of its fascinating properties and learn why it is one of the most important distributions in the study of data.
4. Regression Analysis: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn about regression analysis and how you can use it to help you analyze and better understand data that you receive from surveys or observations. Learn what is involved in regression analysis and what to look out for.
5. Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables & Schedules
In math, when we have to deal with a lot of data, having a visual format to present all the data becomes very useful. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take advantage of two of these visual formats.
6. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra 2 and Trig Textbook course
- Identifying Real Numbers
- Complex Numbers
- Absolute Value Review
- Solving Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- Calculating Rational Expressions
- Working with Linear Equations
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- Graphing & Working with Trigonometric Functions
- Graph Symmetry
- Graphing with Functions Review
- Solving Linear Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Polynomials
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Square Roots & Radical Expressions
- Quadratic Equations & Formulas
- Factoring & Graphing Quadratic Equations
- Conic Sections: Ellipses, Circles, Hyperbolas & Parabolas
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences & Series
- Combinatorics & Probability
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Trigonometric Applications
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Circles, Angles & Circular Arcs