About This Chapter
California Architectural Structures - Chapter Summary
Study important architectural structures found in California using this chapter's engaging lessons. Discover or get reacquainted with the history and construction of these bridges and buildings, including the Salk Institute and Golden Gate Bridge, using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Check your knowledge of these structures by taking short quizzes and a practice exam. Any questions that arise while studying the lessons can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Describe the architecture, history and interior of the Gamble House
- Discuss the demolition and replacement of the 6th Street Bridge
- Detail the history and construction of the Bixby Bridge and Coronado Bridge
- Share facts about the history of the Golden Gate Bridge and its designers
- Explain how the San Francisco Bay Bridge and San Mateo Bridge were constructed
- Provide details about the architecture and architect of the Salk Institute
1. Gamble House: Architecture, History & Interior
California is known for many architectural marvels. One of these is the Gamble House, an arts and crafts style home located in Pasadena. You may have seen it in the first ''Back to the Future'' movie.
2. 6th Street Bridge: Demolition & Replacement
The Sixth Street Bridge is an icon of downtown L.A., or at least, it was. In this lesson, we'll find out what happened to the historic structure and see what the city plans to do next.
3. Bixby Bridge: Construction, History & Facts
The Bixby Bridge is a breathtaking open-spandrel arch bridge along the California coast that many locals call the gateway to Big Sur. In this lesson, we will learn about the bridge's history, construction, and other facts.
4. Coronado Bridge: History, Construction & Facts
The Coronado Bridge is being recognized as an important landmark in its region. In this lesson, we'll explore the design and history of this structure, and see why the people of the area are so proud of it.
5. Golden Gate Bridge: History & Facts
This lesson goes over the fascinating history of the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. You'll also learn some very interesting facts about the bridge as well.
6. San Francisco Bay Bridge: Construction, History & Facts
The San Francisco Bay Bridge in California is a stunning example of a well-built bridge in the United States. In this lesson, we will learn about its history, construction and many facts.
7. San Mateo Bridge: Construction & History
The San Mateo Bridge is not one of California's most famous landmarks, but maybe it should be. In this lesson, we'll explore the history and design of this structure and see how it impacted the history of American bridge making.
8. The Golden Gate Bridge Designers
The Golden Gate Bridge is an iconic structure, but who built it? In this lesson, we're going to explore the history and figures associated with completing one of the world's favorite bridges.
9. Salk Institute: Architecture & Architect
The Salk Institute is one of the most lauded architectural structures of the second half of the 20th century. In this lesson, we'll explore this structure and learn about its architect, and see what makes the Salk Institute so inspiring.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Architectural Structures Study Guide course
- Architecture of Famous Mosques
- Architecture & Temples of Asia
- Architecture of Theaters & Opera Houses
- Architecture of Cities
- Bridges of the United States
- Bridges of the World
- Notable US Sights
- Garden Designs & History
- Famous Architectural Works
- Architectural Structures in Spain
- Bridges in the Mid-Atlantic States
- Bridges in the South Atlantic States
- Canadian Bridges
- European Bridges
- Italian Architectural Structures
- Louisiana Bridges
- Massachusetts Bridges
- New York Architectural Structures
- Oregon Bridges
- Architecture & Design of Famous Churches & Cathedrals
- Architecure & Design of Famous Castles
- The Great Wall of China