About This Chapter
California's Natural Resources & Hazards - Chapter Summary
Get a comprehensive overview of California's natural resources and hazards without setting foot in a classroom. Our online lessons, presented by top instructors, ensure you have a quality understanding of California's water supply, the tectonic evolution of the state and other related topics. Study at your leisure from home or on-the-go. When finished, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance and uses of California's major natural resources
- Discuss the origins of California's water supply
- Share facts about the tectonics and movement of the North American Plate
- Detail the tectonic evolution of California
- Provide information about the locations of California's natural hazards
- List methods for monitoring natural hazards and mitigating their impact
- Outline strategies for preventing catastrophes from natural disasters in California
This chapter helps you avoid the time and location restrictions associated with taking traditional classes by offering access to study materials 24/7 via any computer, smartphone or tablet with an Internet connection. Select which lessons you want to study based on your current understanding of concepts covered, and feel free to test your knowledge by taking the brief quizzes. Questions that arise during your study of this chapter can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard. Before taking your test, make sure you fully comprehend facts about California's natural resources and hazards by taking our practice exam.
1. Major Economic Resources of California's Geology
California's prosperity is due, in part, to the wealth of geological resources available. This includes the availability of water supplies, mineral deposits, petroleum, metal, and even tourism revenue generated by the state's geological features.
2. California's Water Supply: Origins & Importance
In this lesson, we'll look at water in the state of California. Learn where the state's water comes from and how they get it to people in the deserts of Southern California. You'll also see why water is so vital to California's thriving economy.
3. North American Plate: Tectonics, Movement & Facts
Learn about the North American Plate and how it is moving relative to other tectonic plates. In this lesson, we will explore the three major types of plate boundaries that you will find at the North American Plate's edge.
4. Overview of California's Natural Hazards
This lesson is going to go over California's natural hazards. You'll learn about what they are, why they occur, what factors might increase their risk of occurrence, and some places where they may be more likely to happen.
5. Monitoring Natural Hazards & Mitigating Their Impact
In this lesson we'll be learning how humans can monitor natural hazards using tools such as seismic monitoring, weather satellites and warning measures. We'll learn how this information can help mitigate the impact of these hazards.
6. Preventing Catastrophe from Natural Disasters in California
In this lesson we'll discuss the use of geological hazard maps in preventing future crises from natural disasters. We'll go over different types of geological hazard maps and how they are used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Earth and Space Sciences (219): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Understanding Stars, Solar Systems & Galaxies
- Celestial Bodies of Our Solar System
- Astronomical Laws & Measurements
- Understanding Earth's Formation & Development
- Rocks & Minerals
- Overview of Earth's Systems
- Tectonic Plates, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Understanding Water's Role on Earth
- Understanding Earth's Atmosphere, Climate & Weather
- Understanding Human Impact on Earth & Global Climate Change
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Earth & Space Sciences Flashcards