About This Chapter
Cambodia & Laos in the Vietnam War - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Two neighbors of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, were also deeply impacted by the Vietnam War and other conflicts during the time period. Instructors in this chapter will use engaging video lessons to describe how U.S. involvement in Vietnam was also linked to other conflicts such as the Cambodian-Vietnamese War. At the end of each lesson, you can use quizzes to test yourself on the material covered in this chapter. The lessons in this chapter include information on:
- The bombing campaign carried out under President Nixon and its effect on Vietnam and neighboring countries
- What caused the fall of Cambodia and Laos in 1975 and why this is important
- The Cambodian-Vietnamese War and the Cambodian genocide
- How the United States' war with North Vietnam impacted the Cambodian-Vietnamese War
|Cambodia and Laos: Impact of Major Operations Under Nixon||Evaluate the impact that President Nixon's bombings had in Vietnam and their neighboring countries.|
|Communism Spreads During the Vietnam War: Cambodia and Laos||Analyze the fall of Cambodia and Laos in 1975 and the significance of these events.|
|Cambodian-Vietnamese War: Causes & Effects||Consider the events of the Cambodian-Vietnam War and the Cambodian genocide.|
1. Cambodia and Laos: Impact of Major Operations Under Nixon
During the Vietnam War, President Nixon launched a secret bombing campaign to upset North Vietnamese supply and training bases. In this lesson, learn about the impact this bombing had on Vietnam and the neighboring countries of Cambodia and Laos.
2. Communism Spreads During the Vietnam War: Cambodia and Laos
The fall of Cambodia and Laos in 1975 marked the end of the struggle to contain communism in Southeast Asia. Learn about the two nations, including their leaders, struggles and postwar actions, in this lesson.
3. Cambodian-Vietnamese War: Causes & Effects
In this lesson, you'll learn about the roots of the Cambodian-Vietnamese War and how other nations played a role. You'll also reflect on a horrific time in modern human history, a story you might be surprised you don't hear about more frequently.
4. Primary Source: Brent Scowcroft's 'Life Inside Cambodia' Memorandum
This lesson provides a transcript of Brent Scowcroft's 'Life Inside Cambodia' memorandum that describes life under the Khmer Rouge, the Cambodian communist dictatorship that stemmed from the Vietnam War. The memo's historical context and significance will also be detailed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War course
- Vietnamese Nationalism
- The First Indochina War
- Early American Involvement in Indochina
- The Geneva Conference & the Vietnam War
- U.S. Involvement in Vietnam
- Opposition to the Vietnam War
- Battles & Operations of the Vietnam War
- Participants & Strategies in the Vietnam War
- Effects of the Vietnam War
- Required Assignments for History 308
- Studying for History 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War