About This Chapter
Capacitors, Resistors & Inductors - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, we cover resistors, inductors and capacitors for your review. Move at your own pace as you study the basics of circuit theory, the parts and types of fixed and variable capacitors, plus many more subjects. This chapter is designed to help you achieve the following objectives:
- Detail capacitor charging and discharging
- Outline the units and formula associated with capacitance
- Define a resistor and recognize its uses
- Discuss the units and variables used in electrical resistance
- Identify the uses and functions of inductors
- Explain the variables that affect electromagnetic induction
- Describe R-L-C series circuits
- Answer practice problems about resistor-capacitor (RC) currents
Studying this chapter will boost your confidence and help you quickly learn these subjects. All of our materials are written by knowledgeable instructors who are also available to answer any questions that you submit through the Dashboard. Before studying subsequent lessons, you can take the quizzes and chapter test to ensure you're ready.
1. Circuit Theory Basics
Learn what a circuit is, how to describe the features of circuits, and be able to differentiate between AC and DC circuits in everyday life. Complete a quiz to test your knowledge.
2. Fixed & Variable Capacitors: Parts & Types
Capacitors are devices that store electrical energy. In this lesson, we will explore the various types of capacitors, how they work, and how to calculate equivalent capacitance.
3. Capacitors: Construction, Charging & Discharging
Electrical circuits have several components, each of which must be understood for the system to work. We're going to check out capacitors in this lesson and see how they can be used to control an electric current.
4. Capacitance: Units & Formula
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a capacitor is, define capacitance, and solve simple problems using capacitance equations. A short quiz will follow.
5. What is a Resistor? - Definition & Uses
In this lesson, you'll find out what a resistor is and how it works. You'll also explore some of the more common uses for resistors and see examples of resistors that are probably in your home right now!
6. Electrical Resistance: Definition, Unit & Variables
We'll take a shopping trip to the mall to learn how electrical resistance works and how it is affected by resistivity, conductor dimensions, and temperature. We'll also take a look at several common appliances that take advantage of resistance to function.
7. Inductor: Definition, Function & Uses
This lesson will introduce the reader to the concept of an inductor, defining what an inductor is, how it works, and common uses of inductors in our everyday world.
8. Electromagnetic Induction: Definition & Variables that Affect Induction
We use electromagnetic induction every day, but do you have any idea what it is? In this lesson, we'll discuss this everyday phenomenon, the factors that affect its strength and its most common applications.
9. R-L-C Series Circuits
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what an RLC series circuit is and use related equations to solve simple problems. A short quiz will follow.
10. Resistor-Capacitor (RC) Circuits: Practice Problems
After watching this video, you will be able to calculate or deduce the current and voltage in the components of an RC circuit at the start of the charging process and when the capacitor is fully charged. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Physics (220): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Basic Motion Terms & Concepts
- Newton's Laws & Coulomb's Law
- Types of Motion & Practice Problems
- Understanding Graphs of Motion
- Statics & Dynamics of Newtonian Fluids
- Conservation of Energy & Momentum
- Friction & Air Resistance
- Elastic & Inelastic Collisions
- Energy in Everyday Life
- Radiation, Radioactivity & Nuclear Energy
- Electric Power Generation
- Thermodynamic Laws & Properties
- Kinetic Molecular Theory
- Principles of Electricity & Magnetism
- Series, Parallel & Multi-Loop Circuits
- Electric Flow & Potential
- Wave Properties
- Interference & Diffraction
- Refraction, Dispersion & Reflection
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Application of Waves
- Particle Physics, Special Relativity & Quantum Mechanics
- Nuclear Processes & Calculations
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Physics Flashcards