About This Chapter
Capitalization, Punctuation & Spelling in Research Essays - Chapter Summary
When writing research essays, you need to know how to write in accordance with the rules of standard English usage. Our expert instructors have designed this chapter to help you review rules of capitalization, punctuation, and spelling for research essays. The lessons make these grammar topics easy to understand, with helpful illustrations and plenty of real-world examples. At the close the chapter, you will be prepared to:
- Describe the rules for capitalization
- Summarize tips and strategies for proper spelling
- Explain the basic rules for correct comma usage
- Use dashes and ellipses correctly
- Detail correct usage for periods, semicolons, and colons
- Establish the rules for quotation marks, ellipses, brackets, and hyphens
- Interpret hyphenation conventions
- Conduct grammar-focused peer reviews
1. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
2. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
3. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
4. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
5. The Purposes of the Ellipsis and Dashes
In this lesson, we will learn when and how to use ellipses, en dashes and em dashes. These can be used to indicate a pause or a break in text. Ellipses can also be used to indicate an omission of text.
6. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
7. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
8. How to Use and Interpret Hyphenation Conventions
In this lesson, we will define hyphens, discuss the rules for using a hyphen correctly, and then explain why a hyphen is important for clarity in your writing.
9. Peer Reviewing an Essay: Reviewing an Essay for Grammar
In this lesson, we will learn how to peer review an essay for grammar. Further, we will examine an unedited essay and provide an example describing effective feedback.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 105: College Composition II course