About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Capitalization and Spelling for 9th Grade chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Capitalization Rules in Writing||The importance of capitalization|
|Tuesday||Capitalization Rules in Writing||An exploration of the words that should be capitalized|
|Wednesday||Commonly-Confused Words in English||Understanding confusing words and phrases|
|Thursday||Commonly-Confused Words in English||Eliminating the use of non-words|
|Friday||Spelling: Words that Sound Alike (Homonyms and Homophones)||Learning the differences between words that sound alike, but have different meanings, and differentiating between words that are spelled alike but have different pronunciations|
1. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
2. Commonly Confused Words in English
Is it 'accept' or 'except?' 'Affect' or 'effect?' How do you know when to use 'there,' 'their,' or 'they're?' Watch this video lesson to learn about some confusing words in English and how to properly use each one.
3. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- American Novels for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Usage Conventions in 9th Grade Writing Lesson Plans
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Identifying Usage Errors in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Prose Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Essay Basics Lesson Plans
- Literary Terms for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Dramatic Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Introduction to High School Writing Lesson Plans
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Text Analysis & Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Poetry for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Drama for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- British Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Elements of Grammar for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Punctuation in Writing for 9th Grade Lesson Plans