About This Chapter
Cardiovascular Disorders - Chapter Summary
This chapter's engaging video lessons teach you about cardiovascular disorders and how they can affect the human body. You'll review the components of the cardiovascular system -- the heart and blood vessels -- and how changes in these body parts can lead to disease. Our instructors explain not only how cardiovascular disorders are handled once diagnosed but also how some can be prevented. Once you finish studying the video and text lessons in this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify disorders affecting the heart
- Describe age-related cardiovascular changes
- List risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Identify strategies to help prevent cardiovascular disease
- Explain causes and effects of cardiovascular diseases
- Discuss methods of diagnosing cardiovascular conditions
- Provide examples of surgical and non-surgical cardiovascular disorder treatments
We offer several features with our video lessons to help you grasp and retain knowledge of cardiovascular disorders. After watching the videos the first time, you can go back and review specific parts by using the included video tags. If it's easier for you to retain information through reading, each lesson includes a video transcript. Instructors provide clear definitions and examples to explain key points, and you can use links to other text lessons for extra details on important terms. Once you feel ready you can take the short quizzes included with each lesson.
1. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
2. Age-Related Changes to the Cardiovascular System: Types & Effects
The heart is one of those organs that's really difficult to live without since it is responsible for moving blood throughout your body. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the issues that can happen to the heart and the cardiovascular system.
3. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors & Preventative Strategies
This lesson will describe for you the numerous controllable and uncontrollable risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease as well as important preventative strategies to maximize your health.
4. Different Kinds of Cardiovascular Disease: Definitions & Examples
So many problems can occur in the cardiovascular system of your body. Some of them mainly involve the heart and others the blood vessels, but one big one involves both at the same time!
5. Diagnosing and Treating Cardiovascular Disease
This lesson will describe the many different ways cardiovascular diseases can be diagnosed and treated. For example, you'll learn the differences between angioplasty and angiography.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Biology (305): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- Overview of Chemical Bonds and Reactions
- Structure and Function of Macromolecules
- How Enzymes Work
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Overview of Cell Division
- Process of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Basics of Gene Mutations
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Neurological Disorders
- Common Human Disorders
- Populations and Biological Communities
- Overview of Animal Behavior
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Biochemical Cycles
- Human Activity and the Biosphere
- NES Biology Flashcards