About This Chapter
Cardiovascular Medication Administration in Nursing - Chapter Summary
From types of medications to administration methods, this chapter is designed to cover everything you need to know about cardiovascular medication administration. You will have the opportunity to learn the names of these drugs and other relevant terminology associated with cardiovascular drug therapy in addition to reviewing how and when each drug is given. After you study this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Identify medications used in cardiovascular drug treatment
- Describe methods for administering cardiovascular medications
- Discuss the reasons for administering vasoactive medications
- Understand how to monitor patients who have received cardiovascular drugs
Short video and text lessons offer expert instruction and 24/7 availability from any device, so you can conveniently study where and when it's easiest for you. Print lesson transcripts to create quick reference materials. Brief self-assessment quizzes measure your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next.
1. Cardiovascular System Drug Treatment Terminology
There are many medications that can be used to treat cardiovascular disorders. Some are used to treat conditions that can cause heart attacks and strokes and others are used to treat the symptoms that you might have after you have a heart attack.
2. How to Administer Common Cardiovascular Medications
This lesson reviews how common cardiac medications affect different aspects of cardiac function, as well as administration practices and important monitoring for nurses.
3. Strategies to Administer & Titrate Vasoactive Medications
Vasoactive medications are often used in emergency and critical care settings. In this lesson, we will learn about vasoactive medications and how to titrate them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN PCCN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Acute Coronary & Inflammatory Diseases of the Heart
- Acute & Chronic Heart Diseases & Conditions
- Understanding Dysrhythmias
- Understanding Heart Defects & Failure
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Cardiovascular Assessment & Disease Monitoring in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Cardiovascular Surgical Interventions & Emergencies in Nursing
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Understanding Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Pleural Space Abnormalities
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Endocrine Disorders Overview
- Nursing Actions for Endocrine Disorders
- Hematologic, Immunologic & Oncologic Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Hematology, Immunology & Oncology Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Disorder Overview
- Nursing Actions for Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Overview of Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Disorders
- Neurological Disorders Overview
- Nursing Actions for Neurological Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing