About This Chapter
Cardiovascular Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
The actions required of cardiovascular nurses are outlined here for you to study at your convenience. Just a few of the topics presented here include skills needed to assess the cardiovascular system and the tools used for cardiac monitoring. Once you complete these lessons, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between the diagnostic and interventional use of cardiac and arterial catheterization
- Recognize a heart attack on an EKG machine
- Explain the proper use of defibrillation and cardioversion
- Detail the symptoms of hemodynamic instability and the equipment used to monitor it
- Outline situations where patients would need central venous access
- Describe the use and management of intra-aortic air balloon pumps
- Identify the procedure used in percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
Whether you're at home or on the go, you can study with complete flexibility using these mobile-friendly tools accessible to you 24 hours a day. Have confidence as you're studying knowing all of our materials are written by professional instructors. The quizzes offered with each lesson and the test at the end of the chapter are also great assessment tools to ensure you're on track.
1. Nursing Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
This lesson reviews the sections of a cardiovascular nursing assessment, examines subjective and objective data and explores the relationship between assessment and the patient condition. Learn about the skills needed to perform the assessment.
2. Cardiac Monitoring Tools: Types & Interpretation
Heart monitors are used to monitor the rhythm and rate of the heart and are useful in determining any abnormalities. This lesson will discuss types and interpretation of cardiac monitoring tools.
3. Cardiac Catheterization: Diagnostic vs. Interventional Use
A cardiac catheterization is a procedure done to examine the heart structure and function. This lesson will discuss the differences between a diagnostic and an interventional cardiac catheterization.
4. Arterial Catheterization: Diagnostic vs. Interventional Use
In this lesson we will learn about arterial catheterization. We will look at how it can be used for diagnostic purposes as well as how it is used for interventional purposes.
5. Detecting a Heart Attack with an EKG
This lesson will describe how to recognize a heart attack on an EKG. You will also learn how to identify which wall of the heart is affected based on the location of changes in EKG leads.
6. Cardioversion & Defibrillation: Use & Patient Management
Cardioversion and defibrillation both use electric shocks to the heart for rhythm control but each have very different indications. This lesson will discuss the use and management of a cardioversion and defibrillation.
7. Intra-Aortic Air Balloon Pumps: Use & Patient Management
An intra-aortic balloon pump is a device that helps the heart beat. This lesson will discuss the use of an intra-aortic balloon pump and how the patient is managed.
8. Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI): Procedure & Patient Management
A percutaneous coronary intervention is a procedure to help repair parts of the heart. This lesson will discuss how a percutaneous coronary intervention is done and how the patient is managed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing