About This Chapter
Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Endocrine Health - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The lessons in this chapter will help you become familiar with the parts and function of the human cardiovascular, respiratory and endocrine systems. Taught by expert instructors, these video lessons offer information on how the heart changes with age, types of heart diseases and conditions as well as types of cardiovascular disease. Other lessons cover diseases of the respiratory and endocrine systems. By the end of this chapter, you should have knowledge of:
- The structure of the circulatory system
- How age impacts cardiovascular health
- Various heart conditions and events, such as heart attacks
- Types of respiratory diseases
- Endocrine disease and the role of hormones
|The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions||Here, we'll learn about the structure and operation of the circulatory system, including the heart, blood and the pulmonary system.|
|Age-Related Changes to the Cardiovascular System: Types and Effects||This lesson gives you a look at how age affects the cardiovascular system, include the psychological impact of these changes. You'll learn about diseases common to aging adults.|
|Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases||You'll learn about the causes and impact of heart attack, congestive heart failure and coronary heart disease.|
|Thromboemboli: Definition, Causes and Treatments||This lesson deals with what causes thromboembolism, which is the blocking of blood flow by a clot, and how it can be treated.|
|Cardiovascular Disease Factors and Types: Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment||We'll examine the risk factors, prevention and treatment methods for cardiovascular disease.|
|Important Respiratory Diseases||You'll learn about obstructive, restrictive and infective respiratory disease and be able to give examples of each type after completing this lesson.|
|Common Endocrine Disease and Related Hormones||We'll learn about hormones and disorders and diseases of the endocrine system.|
1. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
2. Age-Related Changes to the Cardiovascular System: Types & Effects
The heart is one of those organs that's really difficult to live without since it is responsible for moving blood throughout your body. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the issues that can happen to the heart and the cardiovascular system.
3. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
4. Thromboemboli: Definition, Causes & Treatments
Thromboemboli are blood clots that form within blood vessels and then circulate through the bloodstream. Learn about the problems associated with these blood clots as well as what causes them and how they are treated.
5. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors & Preventative Strategies
This lesson will describe for you the numerous controllable and uncontrollable risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease as well as important preventative strategies to maximize your health.
6. Different Kinds of Cardiovascular Disease: Definitions & Examples
So many problems can occur in the cardiovascular system of your body. Some of them mainly involve the heart and others the blood vessels, but one big one involves both at the same time!
7. Diagnosing and Treating Cardiovascular Disease
This lesson will describe the many different ways cardiovascular diseases can be diagnosed and treated. For example, you'll learn the differences between angioplasty and angiography.
8. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
9. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Health & Human Development: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Health and Wellness
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Mood Disorders and Personal Health
- Anxiety Disorders and Personal Health
- Psychotic Disorders and Personal Health
- Personality Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Disorders and Personal Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Sexual & Gender Identity Disorders and Personal Health
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Fitness for Personal Health
- Weight Management for Personal Health
- The Aging Population and Personal Health
- Dying & Bereavement in Personal Health
- Cancer and Personal Health
- Immune Disorders & Infectious Conditions
- Diabetes, Arthritis, and Genetic-Related Disorders
- Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Health & Human Development Flashcards