About This Chapter
Career Counseling Tools - Chapter Summary
In this chapter's lessons, our instructors will guide you through a look at the processes and theories used in career counseling. You'll learn about stages of a career, find out about the benefits of career assessments and see what factors can influence occupational choice.
Other lessons look at career research tools that are available online. You'll get information on internships and job shadowing, how to write a solid resume and pointers for nailing a job interview. These videos should leave you prepared to:
- Describe theories of career development
- Explore career counseling with diverse populations
- State the purpose of career management and development
- List some factors that can influence occupational choice
- Outline the structure of organized labor in the U.S.
- Explain steps in the job search and career exploration process, such as an informational interview or cover letters
These lessons cover a great deal of information and are presented by instructors who make learning fun. You can test your knowledge with our multiple-choice quizzes. Embedded video tags make it easy to return to the lesson to review key points without having to re-watch the entire video.
1. The Career Counseling Process
Career counseling helps individuals discover their career path. In this lesson, you will learn about credentialing, the counseling process, the role of the career counselor, and the purpose of a career center.
2. Career Development Theories
Career theories help us work with others in making career decisions. This lesson will tell you about the most popular theories of career decision making.
3. Career Stages: Establishment, Advancement, Maintenance & Withdrawal
A career stage model explains the four stages that individuals pass through in their careers. The four stages consist of establishment, advancement, maintenance and withdrawal.
4. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
5. Career Counseling with Diverse Populations
How can a career counselor work with many different people with unique needs? In this lesson, we'll look at career counseling with diverse populations, including two major approaches to diversity and key points for working with diverse groups.
6. Counseling in Business and Industry
Counselors can provide valuable resources to business and industry. This lesson explains how those resources can help the employer and the employee by helping employees be better workers.
7. What Is Career Management and Development? - Definition and Purpose
Companies can invest in both their managers and employees through career management and development systems. These programs offer counseling, planning and workshops to help employees manage their careers.
8. Factors Affecting Occupational Choice: Psychological, Social, Economic, and Cultural
Occupational choice is affected by four factors: psychological, social, economic and cultural. An individual's job choice is molded by their family, morals, values, intelligence, abilities, finances and many other things.
9. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
10. Labor in the U.S.: Unions, Labor Markets & Professions
This lesson discusses the differences between the two labor markets in the United States - primary and secondary. It also defines labor unions and the characteristics of a profession.
11. Informational Interviews and Job Shadowing: Learning About Careers
Exploring career options can be complicated. How can you really know what a career is like? In this lesson, we'll examine two ways to get the skinny on different careers: informational interviews and job shadowing.
12. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
13. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
14. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
15. How to Maximize Your Internship's Career Potential
An internship is a great opportunity to get experience in a career field. But how can you make the most of your time as an intern? In this lesson, we'll offer tips for maximizing your internship in the areas of learning, relationships and performance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE School Counseling (603): Practice & Study Guide course
- Educational & Counseling Foundations
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor
- Counseling Theories & Models
- Individual & Group Counseling
- Human Development Topics
- Human Development Issues
- Crisis Intervention Purpose & Theories
- Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- Curriculum Development & Delivery
- Learning Assessments
- Diversity & Equality Issues in School Counseling
- Strategies for Diverse Learning Environments
- College Counseling Tools
- Program Evaluation for School Counselors
- GACE School Counseling Flashcards