About This Chapter
Career Development in Business - Chapter Summary
When learning about the field of business, one particularly important subject that often gets overlooked is the importance and means of career development for different types of employees. If you would like to learn about this particular subject, you can watch each of these informative video lessons. They different topics needed to understand this subject.
You can watch these lessons to learn about the different stages of an individual's career development, the tools that can assist in a career search and the different theories proposed to explain career development. These lessons will not only help you understand the career development process itself, but also provide you with useful tips for navigating your own personal career search. This chapter contains lessons that will teach you about topics like:
- The career counseling process
- Career development theories
- The differences between a career and a job
- How school choice affects career options
- Setting realistic career goals
- Timeline of career planning for college students and information on internships
- Tools for job searches, including resume creation, job fairs and online research
- Common mistakes in job applications
Upon completing a specific lesson, you can see how much you remember about that topic by answering the questions contained in the lesson's practice quiz. If you would like further clarification of a particular point, the chapter offers the option of messaging the lesson instructors directly. Finally, make sure to use your personal Dashboard to keep track of your learning progress as you complete the chapter.
1. Business Careers: Types & Characteristics
In this lesson, you'll learn about business careers in accounting, finance, marketing, economics, human resources, sales and entrepreneurship. We'll also discuss educational and licensure requirements.
2. Careers in the Business Field: Typical Courses & Degrees
Planning your future in business is exciting and provides virtually unlimited options. You can work for yourself or take a corporate job by getting the education and skills to make you a specialist.
3. The Career Counseling Process
Career counseling helps individuals discover their career path. In this lesson, you will learn about credentialing, the counseling process, the role of the career counselor, and the purpose of a career center.
4. Career Development Theories
Career theories help us work with others in making career decisions. This lesson will tell you about the most popular theories of career decision making.
5. Career Counseling with Diverse Populations
How can a career counselor work with many different people with unique needs? In this lesson, we'll look at career counseling with diverse populations, including two major approaches to diversity and key points for working with diverse groups.
6. Counseling in Business and Industry
Counselors can provide valuable resources to business and industry. This lesson explains how those resources can help the employer and the employee by helping employees be better workers.
7. Career vs. Job: What's the Difference?
Though people often use the terms 'career' and 'job' interchangeably, they aren't the same. In this lesson, we'll look at the difference between a career and a job, and how people should approach them differently.
8. How Much Does Your School Choice Affect Your Career?
Does which school you attend affect your career choices? In this lesson, we'll look at the ways that school choice does and does not affect your career and cover the factors that are more important than school in a job hunt.
9. Career Planning Timeline for College Students
How early is too early to start planning your career? And what should you do to prepare for seeking a job? In this lesson, we'll look at a typical career planning timeline, as well as the different stages of career planning.
10. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
11. How to Make the Most of a Career Fair
A career fair is a great opportunity to meet with companies looking to hire. But, how do you make the most of it and stick out from the crowd of other job seekers? Watch this lesson to discover tips for preparing for and attending job fairs.
12. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
13. How to Avoid Common Job Application Mistakes
Applying for jobs can be a stressful time but knowing the common mistakes that people make during the application process can help lessen the stress. In this lesson, we'll look at common mistakes people make before and during a job interview.
14. How Professional Organizations Foster Business Relationships
In this lesson, we examine how professional organizations can be a way for people to build business relationships and confidence through education and networking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Business Education (309): Practice & Study Guide course
- Organizational Management in Business
- Organizational Structures
- Human Resource Management in Business
- Human Resource Laws & Requirements
- Business Law & Ethics
- Government Regulations for Consumer Protection
- Taxation for Corporations
- Business Accounting Overview
- Personal Finance & Consumer Economics
- Consumer Credit
- Personal Insurance Coverage
- Computation & Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Microeconomics Concepts & Laws
- Microeconomics Fundamentals for Business
- Macroeconomics Principles for Business
- International Business & Trade
- Principles of Marketing & Market Research
- Consumer Behavior & Customer Satisfaction
- Selling & Sales Forecasting
- Fundamentals of E-commerce
- Entrepreneurship & Business Plans
- Business Communication Fundamentals
- Information Systems in Business
- Business Software
- NES Business Education Flashcards