About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering career development theory and stages material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn career development theory and stages. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding career management, career development and the theories behind it, steps in career planning and the phases of a career
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning career counseling (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about career development theory and stages
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra career counseling learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Career Development Theory & Stages chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Career Development Theory & Stages chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any career development theory and stages question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a career development theory and stages unit of a standard guide to becoming a career counselor course. Topics covered include:
- Purpose of career management and development
- Theories about career development
- Stages of a career, including establishment, advancement, maintenance and withdrawal
- Steps of career planning, including initiation, exploration, decision making, preparation and implementation
1. What Is Career Management and Development? - Definition and Purpose
Companies can invest in both their managers and employees through career management and development systems. These programs offer counseling, planning and workshops to help employees manage their careers.
2. Career Development Theories
Career theories help us work with others in making career decisions. This lesson will tell you about the most popular theories of career decision making.
3. Career Stages: Establishment, Advancement, Maintenance & Withdrawal
A career stage model explains the four stages that individuals pass through in their careers. The four stages consist of establishment, advancement, maintenance and withdrawal.
4. Steps in the Career Planning Process
A job search can feel daunting and overwhelming. However, there are effective steps that can be taken to make the career planning process less stressful and more fulfilling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Guide to Becoming a Career Counselor course