About This Chapter
Career Management Fundamentals - Chapter Summary
Help your employees fulfill career expectations, create the documents and develop the strategies they need to advance into mid- or upper-management positions. They can learn to utilize various resources, consider career options and follow the processes that will take them through every step towards realizing their goals. After your employees have had the chance to review the information in this chapter, they should have learned more about:
- Setting and pursuing career advancement goals
- Establishing and maintaining professional contacts
- Developing and implementing career change plans
- Creating an effective resume and cover letter
- Updating resumes accurately and effectively
- Keeping a positive mental attitude while job searching
Video and text lessons are accessible from any device 24/7, so you can have employees study this material in a corporate training session or while at home. Lesson transcripts are printable, so employees can enjoy the benefits of quick-reference printouts. Brief quizzes can be used to measure what has been learned and to identify any area in which employees might need further review.
How It Helps
- Focuses employees on career goals: Allows your employees to create and clarify career paths and expectations and work harder to achieve these goals.
- Increases productivity value: Employees learn how to use their talents in other areas, thus opening the door to the possibility of expanding their roles in your company.
- Creates positive employees: Teaches employees how to maintain a positive mental attitude, which they can apply to their current career situations and, thus, assist in creating a positive, productive work environment.
By the end of this chapter, your employees should be able to:
- Identify and detail career advancement goals
- Build and network with professional contacts
- Study career change options
- Write and update resumes
- Produce effective cover letters
- Use positivity to enhance their current careers and pursue advanced positions
1. How to Advance in Your Career: Process & Expectations
How do you get a promotion or move to a better job? Watch this lesson for tips and tricks to advance in your career, including how to set goals and be proactive when it comes to career success.
2. Networking for Career Success: How to Make Professional Contacts
Having a strong network of business contacts can really help out your career. But how do you build a network? In this lesson, we'll look at ways to make contacts, including tips for networking.
3. Changing Careers: Using Your Talents in a New Way
Changing careers can be an exciting, but overwhelming, prospect. In this lesson, we'll examine how to make a smooth career change, including researching career prospects, identifying transferable skills, and networking.
4. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
5. Strategies for Keeping Your Resume Up-To-Date
Whether you're job hunting or happy with your current employment situation, keeping an updated resume is good practice. In this lesson, you'll learn more about reasons and strategies for keeping your resume in tip-top shape.
6. Maintaining a Positive Mental Attitude While Searching for a Job
Self-care is key to maintaining a positive attitude while searching for a job; however, it's often neglected. This lesson will review the importance of self-care and provide strategies for improving one's wellbeing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.