About This Chapter
Career Planning for High School Students - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you understand the distinction between a job and a career. Helpful instructors will also show you how to formulate a positive resume and cover letter, successfully fill out a job application and get ready for a job interview. You can also find out about common problems that might occur during your interview and learn how to avoid them.
Maybe you aren't even sure what career interests you, yet. Let the lessons in this chapter show you some online research tools that can lead you in the right direction, depending on your interests. Just getting the job isn't enough, and these lessons can also guide you in methods for furthering your career. This chapter can guide your grasp of all the following topics:
- Creating memorable cover letters and resumes
- Job application mistakes to avoid
- Interview pitfalls and how to stay away from them
- Comparison of job vs. career
- Advancing your career once you have the job
Our professional instructors present interesting video lessons that are each accompanied by a short, multiple-choice quiz. You see your results right away and can go back and watch the videos again if necessary. Handy video tags are also available to help you quickly locate just the right place in the video presentations for needed information. Some lessons also contain links to extra text lessons about related topics for even more examples or input.
1. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
2. How to Avoid Common Job Application Mistakes
Applying for jobs can be a stressful time but knowing the common mistakes that people make during the application process can help lessen the stress. In this lesson, we'll look at common mistakes people make before and during a job interview.
3. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
4. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
5. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
6. Career vs. Job: What's the Difference?
Though people often use the terms 'career' and 'job' interchangeably, they aren't the same. In this lesson, we'll look at the difference between a career and a job, and how people should approach them differently.
7. Types of Opportunities to Grow in Your Career
Everyone wants to move forward in their careers, but how can you do that? In this lesson, we'll look at the two major types of career advancement, internal and external, and how to make the best of both.
8. How to Advance in Your Career: Process & Expectations
How do you get a promotion or move to a better job? Watch this lesson for tips and tricks to advance in your career, including how to set goals and be proactive when it comes to career success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Marketing for Teachers: Help & Review course
- How Organizations are Structured & Designed
- General Business Management
- Ethics and Social Responsibility in Organizations
- Business Law & Regulation
- Economic Basics
- Business and the Economy
- The Economy and the US Government
- Entrepreneurship & Types of Businesses
- Marketing Basics
- Product Pricing & Selling
- Product Development & Distribution
- Promotion & Advertising
- Selling & Customer Service
- Market Research and Segmentation
- Strategic Planning for Marketers
- Global Business Strategies and Challenges
- Business Communication
- Business Analytics
- Computer Basics for Business
- The Internet and Business
- Marketing Education
- Laying the Foundation for a Marketing Career
- Marketing Employment Skills
- Marketing Career Stages
- Marketing Instruction & Assessment