About This Chapter
Career and Professional Development in Business - Chapter Summary
This chapter addresses key components of career management and development. Our professional instructors will help you learn the steps to create a strong resume and cover letter, make professional contacts and get the most out of a career fair. You'll learn career development theories and explore various types of careers and the skills needed to be successful in your selected position. Lessons included here will give you a general timeline for planning your career while still in college or offer you tips how to change careers. When you've watched the lessons in this chapter, you'll understand:
- Benefits of career assessments
- Pros and cons of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessments
- Online tools for researching careers
- Job interview preparation methods
- Evaluation and negotiation methods for job offers
These video lessons offer a fun and quick method for learning about career and professional development. Each video is about 5-10 minutes long and features engaging animations that help you easily retain key info. Lesson transcripts accompany each video in case you need to reference key terms or just want to read along with the video. A quiz is also part of each lesson so you can quickly identify areas that you need extra help with. Use the video tags to refer back to main points of the video and close out your study of this topic with the chapter exam.
1. What Is Career Management and Development? - Definition and Purpose
Companies can invest in both their managers and employees through career management and development systems. These programs offer counseling, planning and workshops to help employees manage their careers.
2. Career Development Theories
Career theories help us work with others in making career decisions. This lesson will tell you about the most popular theories of career decision making.
3. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
4. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Personality Framework: Strengths & Weaknesses
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality framework is a theory of personality types that helps managers with job placement, conflict management, team building and career development.
5. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
6. How to Make the Most of a Career Fair
A career fair is a great opportunity to meet with companies looking to hire. But, how do you make the most of it and stick out from the crowd of other job seekers? Watch this lesson to discover tips for preparing for and attending job fairs.
7. How to Maximize Your Internship's Career Potential
An internship is a great opportunity to get experience in a career field. But how can you make the most of your time as an intern? In this lesson, we'll offer tips for maximizing your internship in the areas of learning, relationships and performance.
8. Changing Careers: Using Your Talents in a New Way
Changing careers can be an exciting, but overwhelming, prospect. In this lesson, we'll examine how to make a smooth career change, including researching career prospects, identifying transferable skills, and networking.
9. Networking for Career Success: How to Make Professional Contacts
Having a strong network of business contacts can really help out your career. But how do you build a network? In this lesson, we'll look at ways to make contacts, including tips for networking.
10. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
11. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
12. Responding to a Job Offer: Evaluating & Negotiating
When a company offers you a job, what do you do next? In this lesson, we will look at what to do after you get a job offer, including how to evaluate the offer to see if it's right for you and how to negotiate for better terms.
13. Career Planning Timeline for College Students
How early is too early to start planning your career? And what should you do to prepare for seeking a job? In this lesson, we'll look at a typical career planning timeline, as well as the different stages of career planning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Business and Marketing (063): Practice and Study Guide course
- Introduction to Business Management
- Organizational & Group Behaviors in Business Management
- Motivation in Business Management
- Human Resource Management & Development
- Business Ownership
- Laws Related to Business Ownership
- Labor-Management Relations
- Business Law Basics
- Ethics in Business Today
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Marketing Strategies in Business
- Marketing & International Business
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Business Technology & Information Systems
- Business & Marketing Communications
- Principles of Economics
- Consumer Economics & Personal Finance
- NYSTCE Business and Marketing Flashcards