About This Chapter
Careers, Family & Community - Chapter Summary
You can take the time necessary to sufficiently study this chapter on family, careers and community. Our topics include independent thinking, leadership and changing careers, among other subjects. Once you finish this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Identify the steps in the career planning process
- Define independent thinking and leadership
- Detail the process of changing careers
- List different types of leisure activities for adults
- Provide a definition and examples of role conflict
- Outline work-family conflict and its different types
- Discuss civic participation and give examples
- Differentiate between social responsibility and ethics
We've provided a series of lessons in this chapter that you can access at your convenience to review these topics. Check your knowledge by completing our multiple-choice quizzes. Keep tabs on your progress through the chapter via the Dashboard or contact an expert with any questions that you have.
1. Steps in the Career Planning Process
A job search can feel daunting and overwhelming. However, there are effective steps that can be taken to make the career planning process less stressful and more fulfilling.
2. Independent Thinking and Leadership: Definition & Skills
Today, companies are looking for individuals who can think independently and have the necessary leadership qualities to help make their organization successful. Explore what leadership and independent thinking are and learn about some of the most common skills and attributes that accompany both.
3. Changing Careers: Using Your Talents in a New Way
Changing careers can be an exciting, but overwhelming, prospect. In this lesson, we'll examine how to make a smooth career change, including researching career prospects, identifying transferable skills, and networking.
4. Leisure Activities of Adults: Types, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore some different types of adult leisure activities. We will discuss the different categories of activities to look at the specific health benefits of each category.
5. What Is Role Conflict? - Definition, Types & Examples
Does the amount of time you spend at work or school prevent you from spending time with your family? In this lesson, we will look at how the different roles we play in life sometimes contradict one another.
6. Work-Family Conflict: Definition, Types & Examples
In today's hectic society, finding work-family balance is difficult. This lesson will define different types of work-family conflicts, the causes behind such conflicts, and what can be done to help alleviate this conflict.
7. What Is Civic Participation? - Definition & Examples
This lesson discusses the importance of community involvement. Examples of different types of civic participation are included to help you understand ways we can be active in our communities. After the lesson, take a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
8. Difference Between Ethics & Social Responsibility
Ethics and social responsibility are important to both businesses and individuals. In this video, we'll use a real-life example to explore the differences between ethics and social responsibility.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards