About This Chapter
Case Studies: Trends in Global Population - Chapter Summary
This collection of study resources offers engaging case studies on global population trends. Take a look inside the chapter to find video lessons that evaluate population trends for various countries, including the United States, China, Mexico, the United Kingdom, India, Jordan and Canada. You'll enjoy our instructors' simplified and fun teaching style, and you can reach out to them if you have any questions about the lessons. You're also able to reinforce your understanding of these global population trends with the included self-assessment quizzes and final chapter exam. Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the purpose of the Population Reference Bureau and the Population Bulletin
- Assess population challenges, trends and outlooks for countries all over the world
- Examine some projections for the world's population
1. The Population Reference Bureau & the Population Bulletin
For chart-enthusiasts and professional researchers alike, the Population Reference Bureau is a terrific way to spend an afternoon. Explore this organization and test your understanding about their purpose, mission, and goals with a brief quiz.
2. China's Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
As you might expect, being the world's largest country in terms of population comes with some unique challenges. This lesson shows how China has coped with having more than 1.3 billion citizens.
3. India's Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
With well over one billion people, India faces problems unique to a country of its size, diversity, and history. This lesson looks out how the world's largest democracy handles these issues.
4. Mexico's Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
Mexico is one of the most populous nations in the world, with a long history of population growth and change. Explore the trends of the past, present and future, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Jordan's Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
Jordan possesses one of the most stable societies and governments in the Middle East. That said, being stable comes with its own challenges, as this lesson demonstrates.
6. United Kingdom's Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
The U.K. has some of the world's most stable demographic figures, but it still faces an uncertain future. This lesson explains how literacy and life expectancy don't make up for regionalism and immigration.
7. Canada's Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
While it may only have a tenth of the population of the United States, Canada admits proportionally a much larger number of immigrants. In this lesson, we'll see how important those immigrants are to Canada's population.
8. United States' Population Trends, Challenges & Outlook
The United States is the world's third most populous nation, with more and more people immigrating to the country every year. This lesson examines the challenges and outlook of U.S. population growth.
9. Future of the World's Population: Trends, Challenges & Outlooks
A great deal of discussion has gone into the idea that the world's population is growing at too great of a rate. However, such outlooks ignore the role of innovation in helping people overcome barriers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel World Population: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Demography & World Population
- Demographic Perspectives & Theories
- Measures & Determinants of Human Fertility Basics
- Measures & Determinants of Human Mortality Overview
- Understanding Human Migration & Urbanization
- Family Demographics
- Population & The Environment Overview
- UExcel World Population Flashcards