About This Chapter
Castle History for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
Help your students experience what life in a castle might have been like by incorporating these lessons into your history program. Your students can find out about the various types of castles built by the Normans, castles in Germany and Wales, what motte and bailey castles were, and more. Specifically designed to engage your students' interests, these lessons are presented by highly qualified expert instructors who are also available for questions if the need arises. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz so that you can check your students' retention, and the chapter test helps you monitor their overall understanding.
- Types of castles
- Motte and bailey castles
- Welsh and German castles
- Concentric castles
- Stone and shell keep castles
- What life was like in a Norman castle
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with history will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the history of castles.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding different types of castles
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about what a shell keep castle is
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about motte and bailey castles
- Students who struggle to understand their history teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra history resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the castle history-related topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about castle history.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands castle history by completing the Castle History for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Norman Castles in England Lesson for Kids: Facts & Information
While you may have noticed that architectural house styles have changed over time, did you know that even in the Middle Ages, castle styles evolved to offer better protection? In this lesson, find out how Norman castles started small, but grew into the castles you think of today.
2. Different Types of Castles: Lesson for Kids
A castle was a type of massive, protective home designed to ensure the safety of its occupants. In this lesson, you'll learn about the three major styles of castles created during the Middle Ages in Europe.
3. Stone Keep Castle Facts: Lesson for Kids
Did you know that castles weren't always made of stone? Learn how and why people in France and England first started building stone keep castles. You'll also learn about a famous stone keep castle, the White Tower.
4. Motte & Bailey Castles Lesson for Kids: Facts & Information
What is a motte and a bailey? In this lesson, discover how the very first castles were made. Find out which famous castle was once a motte and bailey!
5. Concentric Castles Lesson for Kids: Facts & Information
Do you think you could get inside a concentric castle during the Middle Ages? The answer is: probably not. Find out how concentric castles were built and why it was nearly impossible for an invader to enter.
6. Facts About Castles in Wales: Lesson for Kids
Wales is a country in the United Kingdom that is home to many beautiful medieval castles. In this lesson, learn about specific castles in Wales, how they were constructed, and what life was like in these amazing structures.
7. German Castles: Lesson for Kids
Germany is famous for beautiful castles nestled in its countryside. In this lesson, learn why and when German castles were built, and discover some famous castles that have lasted for centuries.
8. Shell Keep Castles: Lesson for Kids
Castles were the main defense for some families in the Middle Ages, so it was important for them to be well-protected. Shell Keep castles fortified older castles. In this lesson you will learn the about the features and style of a Shell Keep castle.
9. Life in a Norman Castle: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever wondered what it was like to live in a castle? In this lesson, learn about the rooms inside a Norman castle, how they were used, and how people lived in these amazing structures.
10. Parts of a Castle: Lesson for Kids
Many people think about a castle and think of kings and queens and elegant living. However, aside from just being a home, castles had a very serious function: acting as protection. In this lesson, you will learn about the important parts of a castle.
11. Westminster Abbey Lesson for Kids: History & Facts
Westminster Abbey is one of the most visited churches in the world and is an UNESCO world heritage site. Why is this church so famous? In this lesson, discover the history and secrets of Britain's most fascinating church.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Social Studies for Kids course
- Civics & Government for Elementary School
- Early United States History for Elementary School
- Geography for Elementary School
- Famous People for Elementary School
- Colonial America for Elementary School
- Native American History for Elementary School
- Famous Americans for Elementary School
- Ancient Civilizations for Elementary School
- Inventions Lessons for Elementary School
- European History for Elementary School
- World Conflicts for Elementary School
- Economics for Elementary School
- 20th Century World History for Elementary School
- The Revolutionary War for Elementary School
- Civil War Lessons for Elementary School
- Post-Civil War for Elementary School
- 20th Century American History for Elementary School
- Roman History for Elementary School
- US States for Elementary School
- Countries of the World for Elementary School
- Famous World Landmarks for Elementary School
- Roman Culture for Kids
- Roman Leaders for Kids
- History of Christianity for Kids
- Civil Rights Activists for Elementary School