About This Chapter
CBASE Math: Solving Word Problems - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter explore the processes for visualizing word problems so that they can be more easily solved. After examining the information in each lesson, you will have thoroughly learned about the processes below:
- Going through the general steps for solving word problems
- Solving problems involving percents
- Calculating interest amounts and rates
- Figuring tax and discounts
- Understanding time, distance and velocity in word problems
- Calculating ratios and proportions
- Restating: visualizing and sketching word problems
The video lessons in this chapter have been formulated by professionals to help you review for the CBASE Math exam. There is a timeline below each video so that you can return to a particular section if you need further review. Take the self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson to get an idea of how the questions may look on the exam.
CBASE Math: Solving Word Problems Objectives
The CBASE exam is the official assessment taken by those hoping to gain entrance to an undergraduate professional education program in the state of Missouri. The exam is generally comprised of four major content areas that include math, science, language arts and social studies. However, the test may only consist of one or a few of these content areas, depending on the preference of the college or university. The lessons in this chapter will prepare you for questions on the exam related to math.
The test is comprised of 180 multiple-choice questions and could include an essay or open-response question. A score of 235 is required on all of the content areas to qualify for admission into a professional education program.
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
3. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
4. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
5. Word Problems Involving Time, Distance & Velocity
Knowing how long something takes, how far away something is, and how fast you need to travel, are all important factors in your day. This lesson will give you the tools to calculate time, distance, and velocity in word problems.
6. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
7. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CBASE: Practice & Study Guide course
- CBASE English: Critical Reading
- CBASE English: Literary Periods & Movements
- CBASE English: Important Authors in Literature
- CBASE English: Writing Processes
- CBASE English: Writing Grammar & Mechanics
- CBASE English: Essay Writing
- CBASE Math: Basic Concepts & Vocabulary
- CBASE Math: Statistics & Probability
- CBASE Math: Basic Algebra
- CBASE Math: Basic Geometry
- CBASE Science: Scientific Research Methods
- CBASE Science: Scientific Methods
- CBASE Science: Basics of Life Science
- CBASE Science: Basics of Physical Science
- CBASE Science: Basics of Earth Science
- CBASE Science: Basics of Astronomy
- CBASE Social Studies: Ancient History
- CBASE Social Studies: World History
- CBASE Social Studies: Major Historical Movements
- CBASE Social Studies: Key Figures in History
- CBASE Social Studies: Early American History
- CBASE Social Studies: Modern American History
- CBASE Social Studies: American Government
- CBASE Social Studies: Geography & Culture
- CBASE Social Studies: Political & Economic Structures
- CBASE Social Studies: Social Science Research
- CBASE Flashcards