About This Chapter
CBEST Math: Arithmetic Chapter Summary
If the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) looms on the horizon, and it's been a while since you've divided with fractions or changed decimals to percentages, you might take advantage of the video lessons in this chapter. In addition to covering the previously mentioned skills, this chapter includes lessons on the following:
- Arithmetic with whole, signed and decimal numbers
- Building and reducing fractions
- Finding the least common denominator
- Adding and subtracting like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Multiplying fractions and mixed numbers
- Solving problems using decimals and percentages
- Changing between percentages and decimals
Objectives of the CBEST Math: Arithmetic Chapter
The mathematics section of the California Basic Educational Skills Test, a credentialing exam for prospective public school teachers in California and Oregon, features 50 multiple-choice questions. Most of these are word problems, and approximately 35% test your skill in computation and problem solving. The remainder of the math questions focus on estimation, measurement and statistical principals, as well as numerical and graphic relationships.
Our arithmetic lessons feature self-assessment tests and video presentations. How you approach the lessons is up to you, but it could prove beneficial to take the assessment test both before and after viewing the associated video to see if your arithmetic skills grow.
1. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
2. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
3. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
4. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
5. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
6. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
7. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
8. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
9. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
11. Arithmetic with Decimal Numbers
Watch this video lesson and see how our little professor goes about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing decimal numbers all without the use of a calculator!
12. Solving Problems Using Decimal Numbers
Problems involving decimal numbers might sound like a way to torture you, but learning how important these types of problems are in the real world is important. In this lesson, you will see a couple areas in life where you routinely encounter decimal number problems.
13. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
14. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
15. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
16. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CBEST Test Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CBEST Test
- CBEST Reading: Comprehension
- CBEST Reading: Vocabulary & Language
- CBEST Reading: Critical Analysis
- CBEST Reading: Evaluating Arguments
- CBEST Writing: Conventions of English
- CBEST Writing: Developing Ideas
- CBEST Writing: Focused Writing
- CBEST Writing: Write with Clarity
- CBEST Math: Basic Algebra
- CBEST Math: Numerical Relationships
- CBEST Math: Graphical Relationships
- CBEST Test Prep Flashcards