About This Chapter
Celestial Bodies of Our Solar System - Chapter Summary
If you're looking to strengthen your knowledge of our solar system's inner, outer and dwarf planets, as well as Earth's moon, you've reached the right place! This chapter offers a comprehensive overview of the celestial bodies of our solar system that will ensure you're able to do the following in a short period of time:
- Explain the differences between the four inner planets of the solar system
- Compare and contrast the four outer planets of the solar system
- Share four major theories of the formation of the moon
- List and describe the dwarf planets of the solar system
- Name and discuss the sequences of the moon's phases
- Describe the influences gravity, the moon and the sun have on tides
- Provide details about interactions between Earth, the sun and the moon
Feel free to review the lessons in this chapter as short video presentations or text-based transcripts you can read online or print. No matter the format you choose, you can get the in-depth knowledge you need to gain full comprehension of the celestial bodies of our solar system. Paired with each lesson is a multiple-choice quiz designed to test your knowledge of topics covered. In addition, our practice exam gives a broader review of the chapter, making sure you are prepared to answer questions on your test.
1. Inner Planets of the Solar System: Mercury, Venus, Earth & Mars
Take a tour of the four inner planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. Known as the terrestrial planets, find out what makes each of them unique and how they are different from the outer planets, the gas giants.
2. Outer Planets of the Solar System: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
Take a tour of the outer planets of our solar system: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Find out what makes each of these gas giants unique and learn about Pluto, a dwarf planet.
3. Formation of the Moon: Theories
Explore the four major theories on the formation of the Moon. The theories include the fission theory, capture theory, condensation theory and giant impact theory. Also look at both information supporting and flaws found in these theories.
4. Dwarf Planets of the Solar System: Pluto, Eris, Haumea & Ceres
Discover why Pluto had to leave the league of planets and was downgraded to a dwarf planet. Learn the definitions for planet and dwarf planet. Find out about the currently classified dwarf planets in our solar system: Pluto, Eris, Ceres, Haumea and Makemake.
5. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
6. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
7. Interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon System
Learn how the sun, earth, and moon interact with each other to create tides, phases, eclipses, seasons, solar winds, and precession. Take a quiz and see how much you've picked up.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Earth and Space Sciences (219): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Understanding Stars, Solar Systems & Galaxies
- Astronomical Laws & Measurements
- Understanding Earth's Formation & Development
- Rocks & Minerals
- Overview of Earth's Systems
- Tectonic Plates, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Understanding Water's Role on Earth
- Understanding Earth's Atmosphere, Climate & Weather
- Understanding Human Impact on Earth & Global Climate Change
- California's Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Earth & Space Sciences Flashcards