About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Cell Division chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| The genome;|
| Homologous chromosomes, gametes and diploid complement;|
Chromatin, DNA function and genes;
G1, S and G2 phases, M phase, mitosis and cytokinesis
|Tuesday|| DNA packaging and chromosome condensation;|
| Histones, karyograms and karyotype;|
Centromere, chromosome arm and telomers
|Wednesday|| Mitosis I;|
| Mitotic spindle, microtubule centrosome and astral microtubule; |
Prophase, prometaphase, metaphase plate, anaphase and telophase
|Thursday|| Cytokinesis: animal vs. plant cells; |
Asexual vs. sexual reproduction
| Contractile ring and cell plate; |
Gamete and meiosis
|Friday|| Meiosis overview; |
Nondisjunction and aneuploidy
| Homologous recombination; |
Reductional division, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase;
Equational cell division;
Monosomic and trisomic cells
1. Basic Genetics: The Genome & Chromosomes
There are approximately 3 billion bases in the human genome. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the genome and its organization into chromosomes. We think about DNA often as the blueprint for life, but we can also think of it as the recipe for life with the nucleus being the library.
2. How is DNA Organized into Chromosomes? - Structure & Function
Explore the structure of chromosomes and see how DNA fits inside the nucleus of the cell. In this lesson, you'll learn about histones, chromatin and nucleosomes.
3. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
4. How is DNA Packaged? - Chromosome Condensation & Karyograms
Learn how DNA packaging makes it possible to fit approximately seven feet of DNA inside a single cell. You'll see how chromosome condensation helps cells get ready for cell division.
5. Parts of a Chromosome & Their Roles
Learn all about chromosomes, including the different parts of a chromosome and the types of chromosomes in diploid organisms like humans. Learn the vocab used with chromosomes.
6. Mitotic Spindle: Definition, Formation & Function
Condensation makes DNA ready / And microtubules hold it steady / A microtubule's a fancy rope / To move the DNA is the hope / From spindle poles they do extend / To align each chromosome in the end
7. Stages of Mitosis: Description & Sequence
Let's take a second look at mitosis and focus on the phases of chromosome segregation. As we concentrate on chromosomes, you'll learn the tricky dance that takes place through all five phases of mitosis.
8. Cytokinesis: Animal Versus Plant Cells
What's a cell to do when it must divide in two? We'll explore cytokinesis and see how the process can differ in important ways when it comes to plant versus animal cells.
9. Asexual vs. Sexual Reproduction: Comparison & Characteristics
Did you know that some organisms can reproduce without a mate? Check out this video lesson on asexual versus sexual reproduction to discover the different ways organisms can reproduce and the main differences between mitosis and meiosis.
10. Meiosis: Comparison to Mitosis, Crossing Over & Process
Welcome to meiosis, a realm of division doubled for reproduction untroubled. You'll get a preview of both divisions of meiosis and see what it takes to go from a diploid cell to a haploid gamete.
11. Meiosis I Stages: Prophase I, Metaphase I, Anaphase I & Telophase I
How does meiosis keep track of homologs and reduce the genome by half? Know these answers and more as we navigate the steps of meiosis I. This lesson will be tetradical!
12. Meiosis II: Definition, Stages & Comparison to Meiosis I
Behold round two of meiotic cell division! You'll see how meiosis II keeps the genome intact and gives the final push to produce haploid gametes, which make the world go round.
13. Nondisjunction & Aneuploidy: Definition & Examples
Learn why proper chromosome segregation is essential during meiosis. We'll see how having an extra chromosome can lead to Down Syndrome and also examine the consequences of having too few chromosomes. Disruptions to the delicate balance of cell division can have far-reaching effects.
14. What is Mitosis? - Definition, Stages & Function
Every day your body cells are dividing using a process called mitosis. This allows you to grow and replace damaged or worn out cells. Learn about the stages of mitosis: prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 101 Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Science Basics: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Review of Inorganic Chemistry For Biologists Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Physiology I: Human Body Systems Lesson Plans
- Physiology II: Human Body Systems Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Principles of Ecology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Principles of Evolution: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Social Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Basic Molecular Biology Lab Techniques: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Biology 101 Lesson Plans